Sign in to follow this  
barryoo

Opus Client Control Problem

I have used Opus on a single computer with four monitors active for a long time. The cameras function has worked remarkably well with my only problem - frame rates. That being said, I decided to run two monitors on the servers water cooled GTX Titan and wish to install two additional monitors on my FSX Client.

Unfortunately, my FSXclient that can access the servers files and run VATSIM Squawkbox, Plan-G, Teamspeak and FSAcars concurrently without network connection problems, will not run Opus FSXclient. Well, that is not exactly right, The Opus FS client will connect to the Opus FF server and produce the green colored connection addresses.

PROBLEM: The Client computers FSX program, in windowed mode, will start up an airplane with the exact same airport scenery that is actively running on the server, but the clients FSX aircraft never moves and it's weather never changes.

PROBLEM: Adding client cameras to my server creates rediculous problems. The clients cameras are now default on the server, The servers Opus camera views on the sever now jump around and jitterbug the aircraft forward, backward, left or right.

PROBLEM: Starting the "FS client" configuration/test function causes the servers aircraft in an active window view to occolate and rise 500 feet. Unfortunately, the FSX program on the Client shows a sleeping aircraft, nothing moves as if it were not connected or associated with the Opus Program.

Sounds like you have a set up problem here. Best to read and step through the Getting Started Guide for Networked PCs. When you have your system set up and connecting (that is with the FSXSERVER program running on your main flying system and the FSXCLIENT software running on the networked client system .. NOT on the main server), then you should conduct the Live View tests as described in the guide.

First conduct the test on the client system then when all is proved to be OK, conduct the test on the server system, adjusting the rate of updates. Then tune your system by configuring the Live View Scan Rate on the server.

Also make sure you have FSUIPC4 installed on the client systems, OpusFSX needs FSUIPC4 to pause and un pause the sim.

Stephen

Also sounds like you are not configuring your client views correctly. Please consult the Live Camera guide. Make sure you are selecting the correct System in the Cameras dialog before editing the views. You should see the view change on the client display whilst editing it.

Stephen

Don't use any non alphanumeric characters in the computer names since the network can appear to work correctly but problems can occur.

It doesn't sound like an updates are getting through to the clients. Check your sharing and security permissions for Everyone on your server and client systems. Both the drive and the FSX install folder must be shared and accessible to the OpusFSX program. Otherwise you will  have no client weather (the client cannot copy the weather file), and you have no external aircraft view (the client cannot prepare your aircraft.cfg files).

The freezing problem is also caused by running both the FSXSERVER and FSXCLIENT programs on the same PC or not having FSUIPC installed on the clients.

When you get it working tune the Live View Scan Rate by performing the Live View test on your networked system.Once you have determined your optimum Update Rate open the Position & Attitude Spy window on your client system, start the test and make a note of the rough average number of Position Updates per second. Divide 1000 by this figure and set the ms rate in the Live View Scan Rate box provided in the Configure dialog e.g. 100 updates per second is 10 ms.

If your client views are on the server are you selecting the client computer using the Select Computer System button prior to creating and saving the views for them and not mistakenly selecting the server PC?

I assume you have selected the correct aircraft on the client if your cameras are aircraft specific (and don't relate to all aircraft types).

Cheryl

I assume you have FSX and FSUIPC4 installed on the clients and are not trying to access the sim on the server.

Cheryl

Strange ! I have exactly the same setup with exactly the same problems. All permissions seem to be ok. Will continue to focus on client with the LV test as acft is not moving at all !

Pierre

Thank you for your much appreciated replies. I will run thru your paragraphs, top down.

Stephen 1:

I have about 20 hours into setup, going thru Win 7 64 share and everyone permissions on "FSXserver computer" (D:FSX, G:OpusFSX, and D: G: drives); also "FSXclient computer" (D:FSX, C:OpusFSX and D: C: drive). The FSXCLIENT.EXE is ver 3.37.5. I went thru getting started guide and seem to comply with its requirements.

Conducting a test on FSXclient computer - c:/OpusFxs /fsxclient.exe does not prove to be OK . I push the button to start and it hesitates a while. When pushing the STOP Button I get "not responding" message for about 8 seconds and then the window reinitializes. By the way, please confirm that the FSX aircraft on the client is supposed to jump around and not the aircraft on the server when testing the client computer. (this night be a good suggested improvement to your getting started guide)

A registered ver of FSCUIP4 is on both server and client computers.

Stephen 2:

Having no success in getting anything move on the client FSX aircraft so my client camera configurations are on hold. But to confirm your statement I guess I set the server computers opus camera-configuration to client, create an aircraft designated 2d-default-etc. camera and then watch x-y-z-yaw- moves which image on the client FSX aircraft and not on the server FSX aircraft.

Cheryl 1:

When configuring FSXclient.exe I have tried both my win 7 network server name FSXSERVER and the Servers IP address 192.169.1.12; both allow connection to client/ server green address connections. So I guess you are telling me not to use the IP (non- alpha numeric) even though the FSXclient.exe configuration entry screen says either server name or IP address.

Sharing and security with full everyone permissions on both computers. By saying FSX install folder you mean the subdirectory where FSX is installed, right?

Roger That, on freezing.

When you get it working "not there yet" but roger that.

Answer: yes. I have previously attempted to created client cameras but since the aircraft images on FSX client or server would not move during x-y-z-yaw-ect commands I only found that they would somehow translate to the server as a default image and screw up the server cameras. (basically! yes I would move back and forth on SERVER/CLIENT camera adjustments.)

answer: yes. I am configuring apples with apples.

Cheryl 2:

FSX and FSCUIP4 is on the client computer.

Don't understand "not trying to access the sim on the server"

Final note: I did find a sharing problem so THE JUMPING AROUND EFFECT has stopped on the server. now nothing happens on either aircraft, no movements on client or server aircraft when pushing the FSXclient.exe test function button.

Looking for responses and suddenly thought about version problems. It's been so long since I installed Opus on my server that I forgotten how I entered S/N for activating it's paid version. The program was very satisfying to use on one computer. Only in recent weeks have I decided to use client cameras. Then the trouble started and then did I uninstall and reinstall the client via copy of servers dll, exe, and subdirectories to the client, or at another time moving the servers OpusFSX.msi and running it on the client, or third time uninstalling and downloading new copy from the internet and installing it. Do I have a problem here? Currently running:

Server: Op mode: UNLIMITED OPERATION ver. 3.43.1

Client: Op mode: NETWORKED CLIENT ver. 3.37.5

Yes, you should install the latest release version on your server system and either install or copy the very same version on the client. The two versions must match.

Stephen

Start off by upgrading your software and making sure the server and client computers have the same versions. Then set up your client system with FSX and FSUIPC4 and any other necessary scenery, cloud textures etc. installed. All set up in accordance with the guide. Then run FSX on the client and the FSXCLIENT program. Conduct the client side Live View test and make sure your client system is all set up and working. Its no use proceeding further until the client LV test is working. Use the Spy to ensure there are no SimConnect or other issues on your client.

After this is all done you can then start to work on the server side, establish the network connections, and conduct the server side LV test determining the optimum scan rate for your system.

When all this is working you can check that the clock sync and weather updates occur as expected.

Finally, use the Camera dialog, select your client system and configure your client side 2D scenic or External aircraft view.

Stephen

Yes, the aircraft on the client is supposed to jump around and not the aircraft on the server when performing the Live View test on the client computer. It does actually state this in the manual.

As recommended in the Getting Started guide don't use any non alpha numeric characters such as _ or - in the computer names since this can cause problems with the networking. Also sometimes the computer name will work but not the IP address and vice versa, if you are getting the green bars then this should be OK although there still may be a problem with sharing and security permissions.

Yes, the FSX installation folder should be shared and the permissions set but sometimes on certain systems it is necessary to share the whole drive, this is just an issue with Windows.

Cheryl

Installing the latest Opus release versions on both client and server did not allow Opusclient test to move the aircraft on the FSX client.

Can you confirm you are running FSX and the Opus FSXCLIENT program on the client system and that you have stepped through the GS Guide and configured your sim type and installed location into the FSXCLIENT program's Configure dialog. You should also open the FSXCLIENT Spy window to make sure it is connecting to its local FSX via SimConnect. It needs to connect in order to freeze and then control the FSX simulator. There should be no other software running other than the local FSX and FSXCLIENT program. Check the Spy window for connection errors. Do not bother with anything else until you get your client system set up and running.

Stephen

Sounds like you have not fully installed FSX. Do you have SP2 installed and SimConnect?

Double check your Configuration and check that Spy window and let me know what it says. There is no need to run anything on the server system at all for these checks.

Stephen

Stephen

To confirm, I am running FSX and the client program on the client computer.

To confirm configuration: client sim type is FSX, client sim installation folder is D:Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX

refer to Spy results for sim connect below.

position update and general update spy windows has no data because the server is shut off.

Stephen:

3 copies of sim connect client are installed: v10.060905.0, v10.0.61242.0, v10.0.61259.0

also on the client installed programs is OpusFSX or FSX and prepair 3d 3.43.1

FSX acceleration is installed in lieu of SP 2

Spy window when client FSX and opus client is running:

app link 1

Unable to establish connection with server

app link 2

Unable to establish connection link with server

sim Failed to establish connection link with simulator

simulator may not be active

error HRESULT E_FAIL HAS BEN RETURNEDFROMa call to a com component

Stephen

To confirm, I am running FSX and the client program on the client computer.

To confirm configuration: client sim type is FSX, client sim installation folder is D:Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX

refer to Spy results for sim connect below.

position update and general update spy windows has no data because the server is shut off.

Stephen:

3 copies of sim connect client are installed: v10.060905.0, v10.0.61242.0, v10.0.61259.0

also on the client installed programs is OpusFSX or FSX and prepair 3d 3.43.1

FSX acceleration is installed in lieu of SP 2

Spy window when client FSX and opus client is running:

app link 1

Unable to establish connection with server

app link 2

Unable to establish connection link with server

sim Failed to establish connection link with simulator

simulator may not be active

error HRESULT E_FAIL HAS BEN RETURNEDFROMa call to a com component

The error means it cannot connect to FSX via the SimConnect link so install SimConnect using the SimConnect.msi in the OpusFSX folder.

Using control panel/system and security/uninstall a program - Completely uninstalled the client computers Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX, Microsoft Flight Simulator SDK, Microsoft Flight Simulator Acceleration, Microsoft SimConnect programs and the Opus program . Reinstalled each module, reinstalled latest version of FSCUIP4, registered version. Checked all drives and related subdirectories for share with " everyone", shut off all virus protection and firewalls.

Still getting the same spy message ( server computer turned on or turned off). Installed the Opus SimConnect.msi, (server computer turned off or turned on with the same Opus SimConnect.msi version number installed)......Still getting the same SPY message "HRESULT E_FAILED" Of course the TEST does not work either.

No need to keep uninstalling and reinstalling software, your system just needs to be set up correctly as thousands of others have done before. I am going to set a system up here and conduct the LV Tests myself again as I'm not sure if you actually need a serviceable server-client connection in order to conduct the client side LV Test.

Just make sure on your client you have all the required software installed as described quite clearly in the GS Guide. That is, FSX SP2, FSUIPC4, SimConnect, and of course have the OpusFSX software installed or set up on your client system. Also make sure you have stepped through the GS Guide.

Stephen

OK. My client side and server side LV Tests work just fine.

You DO need to run BOTH the server and client software and establish the networked links between the two. So you will need to step through the GS Guide and set both your systems up in accordance with the instructions.

Run your FSXCLIENT program on your client system to Configure it. Select the FSX simulator option, browse for and locate your FSX install folder, tick the Enable Live View, Enable Live Camera options and specify the server's network identity (i.e. it's Computer Name) in the box provided. Click OK and restart the FSXCLIENT program. Open the Configure dialog and make sure all is still configured as it should be.

In the FSXSERVER's Configuration specify the Number of Client Computers as 1 and set the Live View Scan Rate to 12ms.

Run FSX in windowed mode and the FSXSERVER program on your server system.

Then run FSX in windowed mode and the FSXCLIENT program on your client system.

The two programs should connect with green links indicated.

Open the Spy windows and make sure the programs have connected to their own simulator (FSXs).

Once the client side FSX has reinitialised you should be able to run the client side LV Test followed by the server side test as described in the GS Guide for Networked PCs.

Stephen

Any problems then please confirm on your client system ...

1. You have installed SimConnect.msi on your client system.
2. You have selected FSX sim type in the Configuration.
3. You have Enabled both Live View and Live Camera.

Best post an image showing your FSXCLIENT program's Configure dialog on your client system.

Also check the Spy window. Before proceeding to try anything you should get the FSXCLIENT program connecting to its local FSX via its SimConnect links. Once this is done you can then look at making the server connections and undertaking the Live View client and server side tests (must be done with a good connection between server and client).

Stephen

to Stephen:

complied with your instructions:

SPY on server: SIM Connected to Simulator, SIM Air Folder = c172

SPY on client: GEN General process monitoring has been enabled, SIM Failed to establish link with Simulator, Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

FYI: When pressing any client control button or editing an Opus configuration text window the Opus main client and Opus configuration window stalls for about 8 seconds and reports (Not Responding) then returns to normal. Is this a normal OpusClient.exe reaction?