Sign in to follow this  
marcusnyberg

Win7 or win8 with Haswell?

Hey!

I've got a brand new iMac, don't even want to state how much i paid for this beauty, but it's lovely in almost every way. Except for flightsiming. If I want to play something newer than fs2004.

It has a 3.5 Ghz i7 Haswell processor with turbo to 3.9, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB graphics card.

Without being an expert I would say it's fairly good?

However, even in P3Dv2 I can't push the display settings to be even near the graphics I had in fs2004. I followed some guides on the web which made it a little bit better, but not near what I would expect.

Then someone said that Windows 7 and Haswell-processors doesn't work as good as with Windows 8? I even read that for the turbo mode to kick in I need windows 8.

So my question to you my fellow simmers is; is it worth the struggle to change to windows 8? Will an extra 0.4 Ghz do that much and will the rest of my setup be better compitable with that OS?

I don't expect to be able to fly in to Heathrow with 100% AI (even if I would LOOOOOVEEEE IT), but at least having sharp textures, lots of autogen and a bit more advanced weather flying on smaller ORBX airports, without a FPS on 18.

"GRAPHIC NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5

PROCESSOR 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

MEMORY 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB "

Prepar3d is GPU intensive and still also CPU grunt is required. Whilst the CPU is good, overclocking would yield better results.

However, I'm guessing from your video card that this is a laptop? Therefore overclocking is not an option, especially on apple.

I'm afraid any mobile GPU is just not going to have the horsepower for p3d. Mobile versions are always stripped down compared to desktop options.

Windows 7 or 8 won't make the slightest difference to your problem

Thank you Glenn,

It's actually not a laptop, but it's super slim so I guess thats why they had to put a laptop graphics card in it to be able to fit.

That means it will take a few years before I upgrade next time before I can enjoy P3D at its fullest I suppose, sad news but better to know that now than formatting the windows partition and not getting any better results.

Thanks again,

by the way, would this mean that i have better luck trying FSX? i guess the whole GPU thing is a bit more of a P3D thing, right?