Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Replacing airplane in Flying Lessons, is it possible?

I recently purchase Flight1 172R,I am wondering if I can use this plane instead the default Cessna in Flying Lessons and how? Thanks in advance.~ Charles KDTW

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I doubt it Charles. The lessons tend to have Rod pointing out and highlighting various instruments on the standard panel. I guess using a different panel would mess up the lesson.

Depending on how many lessons you'd like to alter, it can be kind of time consuming, but you can do it.Using Windows Explorer, browse to the main Flight Simulator 9 folder (or whatever you named it on installation) and then navigate to the Lessons folder. This contains seven folders, each one containing up to seventeen .FLT files. Browse to the student folder, right-click on Lesson 1.FLT and select Open With > Notepad (making sure that you are not selecting to open .FLT files with Notepad all the time). This will bring up a text file that shows the information FS will use in loading this lesson. Halfway down, you'll find an entry that looks like this:[Plane.0]Aircraft=Cessna Skyhawk 172SPSo you want to change this to the Flight1 C172. You then open up the aircraft.cfg file for that plane and copy the entry you find after title=. I don't know what it is in the F1 C172 as I don't have it, so let's say for the sake of demonstration that it's Cessna C172 Flight1. Going back to the .FLT file, you replace Cessna Skyhawk 172SP with Cessna C172 Flight1 after Aircraft=. Now that section looks like this (please bear in mind that you need to insert the actual entry from the Flight1 C172 for this to work):[Plane.0]Aircraft=Cessna C172 Flight1FS will then load your new aircraft when you select that particular lesson flight. You'll need to do this for each .FLT file you wish to modify in each of the folders.Bear in mind, though, that the lesson expects the aircraft flown in the lesson to perform like the originally assigned aircraft. Don't be surprised if Rod gets pouty or lippy more than usual because you're over- or under-performing compared to the default plane originally assigned to that lesson.Hope this helps,Kevin

an easier way to do it would be to change the names for the Flight One and default C172 around so the F1 plane would be selected in all cases where the default plane is called for, but there may be a problem whichever way you do it, the 2D panel will more than likely be squashed up or streched. if you do have this problem it can be overcome, one way would involve editing each file, or you could just reload/refresh the aircraft which can have a keystroke assigned to it.