Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

Computer Help (i7-2600 vs. i5-4440)

Would this processor go with the H81 and be able to overclock? http://www.microcenter.com/product/434177/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

It will work on a H81 board, but you won't be able to overclock it. You need a Z97 board to overclock. To sum it up:

- H81 board: no overclock

- Z97 board + I5 4690 (non K) CPU - Limited to 400MHz overclock

- Z97 board + I5 4690K CPU - Unlocked and fully overclockable

If you can stretch for the Z97 board + I5 4690K combo and intend to overclock, you'll also need a CPU cooler

It will work on a H81 board, but you won't be able to overclock it. You need a Z97 board to overclock. To sum it up:

- H81 board: no overclock

- Z97 board + I5 4690 (non K) CPU - Limited to 400MHz overclock

- Z97 board + I5 4690K CPU - Unlocked and fully overclockable

If you can stretch for the Z97 board + I5 4690K combo and intend to overclock, you'll also need a CPU cooler

Got it, thanks! So is the i5-4690K even compatible with the H81? (I don't have to overclock)

So is the i5-4690K even compatible with the H81?

Yep, H81 is the entry level line of motherboards for Haswell desktop CPU's, Z97 is for overclockers or more advanced features.

i5-4690K is just 200MHz faster than the i5-4590, but is not a bad option for just a few extra bucks. It should be easier to sell if you were to, but if you eventually decide to overclock you would need a Z97 motherboard

Yep, H81 is the entry level line of motherboards for Haswell desktop CPU's, Z97 is for overclockers or more advanced features.

i5-4690K is just 200MHz faster than the i5-4590, but is not a bad option for just a few extra bucks. It should be easier to sell if you were to, but if you eventually decide to overclock you would need a Z97 motherboard

Great! I'm also looking at the Z87 here, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87pro3

Would that be able to support the overclocking or just the Z97?

Yes, Z87 is the original Haswell chipset. Overclockable just like Z97

Awesome, thanks! I'll go with that instead of the H81 so I can overclock on it if needed. And I'll also get the cooler :)

Awesome, thanks! I'll go with that instead of the H81 so I can overclock on it if needed. And I'll also get the cooler :)

One caveat: before purchasing that Z87 motherboard, contact the store to make sure it ships with the newest BIOS that enables support for Devil's Canyon CPU's like that I5 4690K.

For the Asrock Z87 Pro 3 it's P2.60

One caveat: before purchasing that Z87 motherboard, contact the store to make sure it ships with the newest BIOS that enables support for Devil's Canyon CPU's like that I5 4690K.

Thanks so much for the info, I'll do so! Now my total price is around $830 including all the parts, cables and OS :P Still definitely worth it, thank you!

I just contacted microcenter about the motherboard and they said they have no idea, you can only check after the package is delivered.

Would any of these computers here be worth it/good for FSX besides building the pc? I'm just trying to see some other options.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1G5RFB

http://www.microcenter.com/product/424141/M11AD-US001Q_Desktop_Computer

Thanks!

Would any of these computers here be worth it/good for FSX besides building the pc? I'm just trying to see some other options.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1G5RFB

http://www.microcenter.com/product/424141/M11AD-US001Q_Desktop_Computer

Thanks!

The cyberpower one looks great. You can add an I5 4690K + CM 212 EVO for $50 too if you want to overclock

...no to the MC one. The graphics card is very weak and it doesn't list key components like the mobo & PSU

The cyberpower one looks great. You can add an I5 4690K + CM 212 EVO for $50 too if you want to overclock

...no to the MC one. The graphics card is very weak and it doesn't list key components like the mobo & PSU

Cool, thanks!

Ah, ok. I think I'll stick with building my own because it's cheaper ;) I'll use the 4670K instead just in case the Z97 doesn't support the devils canyon.

I'll use the 4670K instead just in case the Z97 doesn't support the devils canyon

Don't do that. Pick the 4690K cause the 4670K ships with the old crappy thermal interface, runs much hotter and that limits it's OCing capabilities. Z97 is guaranteed to support Devil's Canyon.

So I wouldn't take any chances and go with the I5 4690K + Z97 combo just to play it safe, even if costs a few extra bucks.

Have you decided on a mobo yet? which one so I can check the CPU compatibility list?

Don't do that. Pick the 4690K cause the 4670K ships with the old crappy thermal interface, runs much hotter and that limits it's OCing capabilities. Z97 is guaranteed to support Devil's Canyon.

So I wouldn't take any chances and go with the I5 4690K + Z97 combo just to play it safe, even if costs a few extra bucks.

Have you decided on a mobo yet? which one so I can check the CPU compatibility list?

Oh, ok - great! I'll do that then.

Yep, I'll be using the 4690K with the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3