Sign in to follow this  
FlyBoyMike

A Very Strange Problem - 2X Ground-Speed

I've recently started to have this strange issue in XPX where the time compression or 'ground-speed' acceleration feature seems to turn itself on sporadicaly at random. For example I might be parked at a gate doing preflight in the FF 757 or SSG 747, or I might be taxiing in an aircraft (doesn't matter which one) and all of a sudden I see '2X Ground-Speed' or '6X Ground-Speed' flashing message appear across the top of the screen and all of a sudden the sim speeds up rapidly. I've actually had a rather nasty incident one time where I was about to land the FJSim 737 and '4X Ground-Speed' kicked all of a sudden in causing the plane to roll and crash into the ground.

I've actually assigned a key to turn it off whenever it happens but seems to constantly come back once I've disabled it. I have no idea what could be causing this but seems to have started ever since I began using EFASS in the background for injecting weather. Not sure if EFASS is actually causing this as I did turn it off during flight last night and the problem still occured. I'm also running the latest 10.30b5 so not sure if that is the cause.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue as I'm unable to find anything online about it.

Well the simplest answer I can think of at the moment is a "noisy" key on your joystick if you use one or on the keyboard. By noisy I mean a key that's loose or broken which can randomly go on and off. I know that you said you set-up a key to turn time compression off, but have you checked to see if you have a key or joystick button assigned to turn ON time compression? My Cyborg joystick started going wonky with one of the throttle controls awhile back, where it now just flits on and off all the time, which is what made me think that might be an issue.   

Unless it IS something weird with EFASS. It is a newer program and especially since it features a number of direct interfaces with X-plane, such as a moving map and custom weather engine, there certainly could be some strange issues with how it works with the sim. But this is the first I've heard of this particular problem and seems unlikely that it would effect X-plane in such a way.

I know that you said you set-up a key to turn time compression off, but have you checked to see if you have a key or joystick button assigned to turn ON time compression?

I'll have a look again and check through all of my assignments tonight. I do use xassign plugin with several profiles setup and have noticed that the assignments sometimes get 'jumbled up'. Was also actually wondering if xassign may be the cause.

Unless it IS something weird with EFASS. It is a newer program and especially since it features a number of direct interfaces with X-plane, such as a moving map and custom weather engine, there certainly could be some strange issues with how it works with the sim.

I really like how it does weather in the sim. I think it's one of the best weather injectors in XP at the moment and I'm still running the free version but constantly nags me to buy it now. I don't want to spend money on it though until I've ruled it out from this problem.

I might try a flight again just using default XP weather.