Sign in to follow this  
lima725

Components used by FSX

Hello guys!

I would like to use FSX with the maximum hardware available power, in order to obtain the maximum fps with a fluent game experience. I googled a bit, even browsing the Microsoft site, but the only information I could obtain was that FSX (if properly updated) can take advantage of a double-core processor.

Do you have any more detailed information about how FSX uses the computer hardware?

In particular, which components are the most important? Does CPU performance affect FSX more than the graphic card or viceversa?

Should I choose a CPU with high single-core performances or a CPU with a high number of cores?

Thank you!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Welcome to the community Lima725.

I've written several longish posts of how different hardware affects FSX performance. You can find them if you click on my name and view my content.

Most important is a quad core CPU with high single threaded performance. FSX will make use of 3 real (not hyperthreaded) cores for maximum FPS. It will also use additional cores, hyperthreaded or non hyperthreaded for ground texture and terrain loading. Not important for some, more important for others using photo scenery. The Intel i7 4790K CPU is the best at the moment. AMD is unfortunately hopelessly behind on single threaded performance now.

2nd most important is high speed, low latency RAM. 8GB 2133 CL10 or faster would be good.

You can really stress the GPU in FSX should you wish using high settings of AntiAliasing. How important this is for you depends on how sensitive you are to shimmers. If you are to save money on something this is where to do it. If you don't plan to use BP=0 and fps locked to 30 inside FSX PCIe 3.0 is important.

Running FSX of an SSD that it shares with the OS is a way to reduce stutters and loading times. Having either OS or FSX on a regular HDD will work, but cause a few stutters that can be avoided with an SSD. Storing large Mesh/photo scenery add-ons on a regular HDD whilst OS and main FSX installation is on a SSD won't cause any stutters but slower load times and textureloading.

So basically FSX can eat any hardware you throw at it=)

Some things make more difference than the others though and most important is the CPU/RAM followed by GPU or SSD depending on who you ask.