Sign in to follow this  
mwilson

FSX Performance

Hello everyone,

I've done most of my flying in X-Plane, but I also have FSX (SP2). The performance between the two is astounding. X-Plane is smooth, while FSX barely runs, and is so slow and choppy when I'm able to start it up. Obviously, to get any advice, I figured my PC's specs would be needed, so are the main bits:

-ASUS P8277-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6 GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel motherboard with UEFI BIOS

-EVGA 02G-P4-3063-KR GeForce GTX 660 192-bit GDDR5 PCI express 3.0 SLI support video card with ACX cooler

-i7 processor

-8GB RAM

-Windows 7 OS

Any more information necessary, I'll gladly add to this.

I'm not interested in making a complete switch, but the add-on and third-party aircraft communities surrounding FSX make it attractive. I'd like to use both.

Any advice on performance and opinions on one sim and the other are much appreciated.

google around... there are several performance guides, although with good hardware, 'less is more' can be a good bit of advice with tweaking..

i usually just use the http://venetubo.com/fsx.html automatic tweaker, some say that the changes it makes are outdated or unnecessary but it always boosts my fps nicely, no harm in trying if you backup your .cfg file first...

i also do a few settings in nvidia inspector although those are mainly to increase the amount of AA... which on my card (a 650ti) can be pushed to 4x or 8x rather than the 2x fsx default, without really affecting performance.... the settings at http://airdailyx.blogspot.com/2013/04/nvidia-inspector-settings.html are a good starting point... also NickN has a guide that you can probably find a link on the forums here..

cpu is a big factor so look into overclocking if you really want a boost. FSX didnt start feeling smooth for me until i was towards the 3.6+ Ghz range. 

anyway it's well known that FSX is dog slow compared to most apps.. but with a little TLC most people can get it to an 'acceptable' level of performance... don't get your hopes up too high and just try to find a sweet spot with detail settings that gives you an acceptable balance of eye candy and fps..

cheers

-andy crosby