Sign in to follow this  
amidoo

Pitch compensation when banking

Hey there !  I just had a little question regarding the pitch compensation in a turn. The plane does what the manual says, namely when flying  level and I bank, the plane trims itself to stay more or less at the same altitude, however when I want to return to a steady and level flight, it does not trim itself back down, therefore the nose pitches up and the plane loses speed. Note that I'm flying without the A/T throttle on.

Am I missing something or do I just not understand how this is supposed to work ? 

I have not been able to try SP1 yet.....maybe I can download it tomorrow, but that does not sound right.

And I'd say you do seem to correctly understand the system.

Just one thing....the FBW system is not exact sience....well it is......but not in the sence of keeping altitude.

It will help/assist you to maintain your vertical flight path for various disturbances (bank/config changes/etc).

But it will not try to maintain altitude.

Even in a level turn, there is a difference between

- trying to maintain altitude (= correcting for deviations.....and that is something only you or the AP can do on the 777) and

- trying to maintain flight path (= deviations will be minimized, but once they occur, no corrections will be made to return to altitude).

Rob Robson

Well do let me know what you find out when you try it.

I just did some flying around again, turns out the plane will trim itself back only after I push on the control column to stay at the same altitude. At this point the speed has gone down by approximately 20kts, so the plane will pitch down, hence losing altitude. No inputs to the throttle are being made I should add. I must be doing something wrong here, my approaches are pretty good though, it's just this one issue bugging me.

I just flew some turns in the release build and I'm not seeing this at all. Are you positive your controls are properly calibrated and centered? There's a thing in the manual on pages 167 and 168 describing the FBW nullzone settings - have you played with these at all?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I flew some turns with the A/T on, and it seems like what I described above only happens when the control wheel is deflected somewhat fast. For smooth turns the plane stays trimmed all the way through. I guess it's about the flying technique.

I did play however with the null zones going from 1 to 10 and did not feel any difference. I have my null zones set at 0 in the FSX settings, is the FMC supposed to override those ?