Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gpbarth

Starting the Grand Caravan

I re-posted this from the "other" Caravan thread, because this is the model I purchased. I was having problems starting the aircraft, and apparently ran the battery down trying:

I am having a similar problem - just loaded the C208 and went to start it. Went through the pre-flight, and everything seemed to turn on. But when I hit the start switch, it started spooling up and then did a sort of repeat - whining up, stop, whining up again, stop...never did get anywhere near the correct % on N1.   And finally it is acting like the battery is dead...although I turn on the master switch, nothing when I turn on the boost pump, nothing when I turn on the No. 1 avionics switch (all displays are dead) and no starting when I throw the start switch.

I have several A2A aircraft that need to have a battery charge once inn awhile (a trip to the hangar), but I don't see anything like this in the C208. Is there some way to deplete the battery? And if so, how do I recharge it?

Well, I quit FSX for awhile, and came back this morning. Restarted FSX, and loaded in the C208. As per another suggestion, first thing I checked was the fuel switches in the overhead, and both were in the 'OFF' position, so I turned them on. Then went through the start-up procedure again, and got the engine started. But not without a little trouble - seems that it takes only a few seconds to get N1 up to the point where you have to turn on the conditioner. It took several tries before I got the sequence right.

Problem is still the battery, though. IF - you run it down (almost did it again by waiting to turn on the generator - the avionics went dead until I switched the generator on), do you have to end the flight and reload the aircraft? Other than the standard Cessna manuals that come with the aircraft, there is sparse documentation on this plane. It would be nice to have a Carenado manual on how to operate their model.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

50%
    $12,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now