Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Kerry EIKY released by Eiresim

For anyone who is keen to add an additional Irish airport to their setup, Eiresim have just released the first payware version of this airport. EIKY is a small regional airport in Co. Kerry and was formally known as Farranfore after the small village near where it is situated. Aer Lingus Regional operate twice daily ATR-72 flights  from Dublin but Ryanair is the biggest user with flights to Stansted, Luton, Hahn, Faro and Alicante. The county of Kerry is itself a major Irish tourist destination, with wonderful, mountain. lake and ocean scenery which is replicated quite well in Orbx FTX Ireland and certainly makes for a few pleasant hours of VFR sightseeing flights.

The accuracy of Eiresim EIKY is very good and the airport itself, although small, is very well modelled with plenty of autogen and a realistic appearance. In addition, the area around the airport is also accurately replicated with a combination of photoreal and autogen scenery and includes the adjacent village of Farranfore and its railway station complete with static train (I am assuming it is static as it hadn't moved during the three circuits I carried out here!). It appears to be quite compatible with Orbx FTX-IRL although there is a slight, but in my opinion, not particularly bothersome difference between the tone of the Eiresim photoreal scenery and the Orbx scenery. I have also noted a shallow 'trench' between the Eiresim and Orbx scenery on the northwestern boundary of the airfield but again this is not particualrly bothersome to me anyway. I should point out that I do not use FTX vector so perhaps the presence of this trench is an elevation anomaly which reflects the fact that I do not have vector.

Overall this is a nice representation of this small regional airport providing a good sense of immersion and I would recommend it for anyone wanting an alternative destination to the three main airports in the Irish Republic.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the HU and remarks about FTX compatibility. Although I do not understand all of it. You say you use FTX IRL. So what could Vector add to that?

RobdeVries.jpg

Thanks Bill for the HU and remarks about FTX compatibility. Although I do not understand all of it. You say you use FTX IRL. So what could Vector add to that?

Yes of course - you are correct! I was not thinking properly when I made that statement - the vector data should already be present in FTX IRL so I cannot explain why that anomaly is present!  Thank you for pointing that out.

Bill