Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Can this be done? Looking for advice.

Guest jscharpf

Hello all.I have FS9 installed on my C: drive. I would like to re-install it on my D: instead for various reasons.Since I have several payware aircraft, along with PAI, add on sceneries, etc... would it be possible to do the following? :1) Save my config file, then install FS9 onto the D:2) Copy all of my C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS9.. *.* directly onto the D: installation, thus updating FS9 and all of my other stuff.3) Un install the C: installation or just delete it.Is this possible? I was hoping to avoid a complete uninstall/reinstall as I have lots of settings just right and it's working great.The reason I'm doing this is that I need to make room on my C: for some other stuff.. more important..Any advice regarding this issue is greatly appreciated.Jeff

You can save the config file, but the game and all your payware have registry entries that point to the current installation, unless you change that (probably a huge pain) none of it will work if moved.I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can have more than installation of FS unless you have seperate partitions, could be worng though. if possioble, then i think your best bet would be a new install on the D and then move everything over. You'll have to reinstall the payware, better to uninstall first though.Good luck, sounds like too much work, to bad youi can't install the other stuff on another drive.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

What you need to do is move the installation by hand to another location.Then edit the registry to change all references to FS to that location.Then edit possibly the config files of some addons that don't use the registry to figure out where FS is.And then edit the launch icons for FS to the new location.That's all. It's a bit of work, but it is possible.

I have had my fs installed on a drive other than C: for years. When my C: drive failed I replaced the drive renamed the fs directory. Installed FS from cd then deleted the new install and renamed my old folder. It worked just like it always had.Allen

Guest jscharpf

Thanks for the info everyone!I decided to just remove it from my C: and re-install completely on the D:.I'll have to spend some time re-installing my payware, but what the heck.Jeff

Guest allcott

MOST payware doesn't require Registry entries to function. Seems that many just put an entry in there for the sake of it, or for the sake of an uninstaller, which I never use anyway.As Allen says, once you know that you want to move it the process is simple: Just rename the fs9.exe to fs9.exe.old, then install a clean copy of FS to the new location, then drag everything over from the old, overwriting as you go. Then just deal with issues if they turn up - you'll already know what the cause is, and the solution may be as simple as changng a registry entry, or you might have to reinstall one or two addons.I have `bits` of FS spread across different hard drives and have NEVER had a problem moving things around. There's only three places you will normally need to make any changes - Windows Registry, scenery.cfg and the shortcuts on the desktop. Anything else with problems will `tell` you.Simple really!Allcott