Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Rebooting PC before FS9

I always fly out of the same airport now, (Misty's Place in the Misty Fjords area) and know the exact frame rates I shoul be getting at different locations on the airport. I have noticed that when I first run FS9 using FS Start, to shut everything down, I get a lower frame rate than the previous flight, at the same locations, with same weather. I would say it is lower by about 30-40%. If I reboot the PC, then run FS Start, and then FS9 I get the higher, more normal frame rate. So if I fly this evening, start FS9 tomorrow morning, the frame rates will probably be lower without rebooting. Anyone have an explanation for this ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yep, you cant beat a good 'ol cold boot to refresh the system up :-lolAs Mark says, Windows performance will degrade over time, and needs a good flush out every now and then, for the seconds it takes to do a cold boot its well worth doing prior to firing FS up.Also, a little aside, but remember to re-boot after defraging aswell.Is this something that has started to happen recently?, as you may have installed a piece of software that is creating a memory leak.Dan.

I've especially found that a reboot is required if I've been surfing the net. FS9 become choppy unless I reboot. After reboot and FSAutostart, everything smooths out nice. I'm on a 56K dialup--maybe the modem is still taking resources. Anyways, a reboot is a good thing.Randall