Sign in to follow this  
Guest dljolly

Aviation Security

I found an interesting sitewww.aviationplanning.comIt was linked to in another forum somewhere. Mind you, they obviously have some serious "attitude" concerning the TSA and the US's issues with aviation security in the post 9/11 world. But some interesting points to note...The TSA has a lousy record of accountability, from the top down, in dealing with "poor performers", as does the FAA. The "good ol' boy" crowd is very alive and well in Washington.Many, many security holes still exist, with no real fixes in sight.Screening is of limited, questionable value as currently conducted.Cargo operations and airport infrastructure are noticably vulnerable.The Washington crowd (and the states, for that matter), on both sides, are not paying proper attention to the fact that we are still very vulnerable on the aviation front. (Daley in Chicago tore down Meigs, a light plane airport...Midway is two minutes from the Sears tower by airliner...)The scary thing is that, when we get hit again (as we will) and it involves air transport, there will be more talk and fingerpointing, and no action (other than lots of $$$ spent and more regulation/buraucracy). Best as I can tell, the only folks "responsible" for letting 9/11 happen in the air transport community that got fired were the screeners. The other "managers" all seemed to get promoted!!! So many knew there were massive security issues, and absolutely nothing was done! Nothing!!!So, as we await the next one, remember that, if not for a few militant passengers, another 767 would have gone down by the shoe bomber. Aware passengers are virtually our only defense against more hijackings, and where available, armed crews. I worry about cargo flights and the contents of the cargo bins on passenger flights.The bad guys are watching us very closely, and know our patterns and weaknesses. They are developing more evil plots, and are learning when, where, and how to hit us. They know what it takes to create the emotional shock of 9/11. And, as things sit now, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to pull it off. We need VERY well trained, very professional screeners. We need total, state of the art, effective baggage and cargo screening.(Israel comes to mind). We need rock solid, wartime airport infrastructure security, immediatly identifying and fixing the holes. And, we need a flying public and airline industry that can accept that, regardless of the (appropriate) inconvenience and cost, it's a new world order now....and the terrorists, extranational and nebulous as they are, hold a pretty good hand right now....or am I wrong?Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dave:>>Best as I can tell, the only folks "responsible" for letting 9/11 >>happen in the air transport community that got fired were the >>screeners.I just want to correct this.... The screeners were in NO WAY responsible for allowing the 9/11 hijackings. EVERY weapon the hijackers used was on the FAA's list of things that you WERE allowed to take onto aircraft. The responsibility for allowing those weapons onto the planes lies 100% with the Feds. So what was the response? Fire the screeners that did what the FAA told them to do, and give the Federal Gov't - which failed miserably - the only part of the whole system that did exactly what it was supposed to do.On a recent trip to Seattle, our Seattle area office called me the day before to ask if the ofice here had a spare "Bacon Bomb" (a water sampling device) that I could bring with me. I grabbed one and, knowing that the shape of it (it's the item on the right in this picture) would no doubt raise some eyebrows, I put it in my carry on bag so as to be able to open it and show the screener what it was. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68705.gifWell, when the screeners saw it on the video, they pulled my bag, took it out, and asked me what it was. I told them, and the screener holding it said "Oh. OK" and PUT IT BACK IN MY BAG!!! It's made of 1/4" brass, so no way could the x-ray machine see into it, and they didn't even ask me to open it up.Richard

Good point Rick, I stand corrected.I was perusing the site till late last night. It's sad to read the tales of folks who, when getting on the plane, open a carryon/purse/whatever and find a blatently illegal item inside which they honestly forgot about. Invariably, when they conscienciously bring it to the attention of the cabin crew, the ball starts rolling and often ends up with the individual getting a criminal record for their honesty. It's scary, glad you didn't use the "B" word with the screeners...Cheers,Dave