Sign in to follow this  
ethanpilot787

FIX Page Not Accepting Distances with Decimals

When entering a radial distance for a fix in the FMC, I am presented with an "Invalid Entry" error when entering a non-integer distance, such as 3.6 DME. However, 3 or 4 work just fine. The FMC on the NGX does allow me to input decimal distances. Does the 777 really not allow this? I have a feeling I'm making a minor error that I'm not noticing.

Thank you in advance for any responses,

Ethan

The real 777 FMC (with the software I know) allows you to enter decimals but will round them off automatically.

So if you enter ---/7.4 you get ---/7 (but not an error).

If I need to turn left at a distance of 7.4nm I would enter ---/7 in the fix page.

(better to be shown a distance a little early than too late).

Rob Robson

That must be a software mod, because most 777's don't allow entry of (even to then round) decimal distances, and don't display any decimal distances, even when the distances involved (such as down an approach) are clearly decimal - the CDU displays to the nearest nm even as it is definitely working to the accurate figure.

I've never understood why the difference, and since there are a couple of different types of FMC on the 737 and I wonder if entry of decimals is available on all 737's?

For the most part, it makes no difference, but for me the most obvious time I want decimals in the fix page is when depicting engine out procedures.

Hmm........it has actually been....forever....since I tried to enter decimals.

Since I know it will not work anyway I just enter rounded numbers every time.

Maybe it did come with an error and I just forgot?

I will take a look next time around (in a couple of days).

But same here....most times I would want a decimal dme distance, it is for the engine out departure. Luckily these EO SIDs are now all programmed in the FMC and can be flown with Lnav :-)

Rob Robson

"... these EO SIDs are all now programmed in the FMC ..."

Only if your Airline pays for it!

Actually I would be interested in hearing how they work, since I've never been fortunate enough to work for an airline who codes them in.

- How do you activate/execute them for an engine failure on takeoff

- How does it work if your EOSID turns left straight away but the normal SID goes right?

If you wouldn't mind running through a couple of scenarios, that would be fascinating.

I don't supposed EOSIDs are in PMDG?

No, EO SIDs are not implemented in the PMDG777.

I dont have a lot of time right now, sorry.....I will try to discribe things a bit more in a few days.

In short:

You correctly touched the problem with EO SIDs already......what if you have turned left on the SID but the EO SID wants you to go right?

Having EO SIDs programmed in the FMC does not mean you can stop thinking and planning before you take off ofcourse.

When the EO SID pops up, the FMC needs you to execute or erase it.

After that, magenta line changes to the EO SID or, in the latter case, it is erased and your original routes remains.

PS....I am flabbergsted (no idea if it it spelled that way haha) that the airlines you work(ed) for (with their recources) did not have EO SIDs pre programmed.

I thought they were more the norm than the exception.

Rob Robson

Sorry guys, forget about my earlier post please....total BS!

The fix page comes with "invalid entry" on our 777s as well when you enter a decimal distance.

No rounding up takes place at all.

In the legs page you can enter decimal distances and it will actually use those (although that can not be recognized from the name the waypoint gets)....but no rounding up takes place there either.

No idea where I got that rounding up idea from other than from the fact that I have been manually rounding off fix page entries for ever and therefor have not seen the "invalid entry" message for a long time.

Rob Robson

FYI the sidstar file that is read by the PMDG FMS does allow decimal values. So it is interesting that if the decimal values are in the 'database' then the calculations are done without problem, but manual entry is not allowed to mimic actual equipment operation.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's just the fix page that will not allow decimals.

The legs page will allow it.

Rob Robson