Sign in to follow this  
by1014

DHM and Turbulence quesitions

Hello, I have been using OPUS(FSX) and OPUS (FSI) for a couple years.. I feel as though sometimes when a new version is released, the turbulence is good and other releases/updates its not very noticeable.. what would be the best settings for the most noticeable turbulence? For instance, should I have the DOF set to 3 and the delay set to 0 with the bump aircraft slider set to 10?

I feel like the most recent release 4.43.8 was a step backwards from the last release I had, in regards to accurate turbulence effects.

what settings in the DHM are people using for the best trbc effects?

With the latest OpusFSI Beta and Release Versions we advise you set the Include Wing Flex Data option in the Weather Preferences dialog, and also make sure you have enabled the simulators Turbulence and Thermal Effects. The Bump Aircraft DHM options have been replaced by these aircraft effects now which have also been coordinated with the LWE.

Stephen :-)

P.S.

Best follow our SimForums Announcements for details of changes.

I have Wing Flex Data on, and I have always had "Turbulence and Thermal Effects" enabled (by not having the box checked in FSX). So the DOF and delay options are no longer used? I do have Accu-feel, however I have all the turbulence effects off (I don't know if having them on would cause issues, does it cause issues if on?)

I just did a quick test with version 4.43.10 in an area with winds 350 at 20knots gusting to 28knots and the plan was not getting pushed around much, there were some small movements on the plane so its not that there is any.. I feel like in other versions it would have been very noticeable.  Any other things I could try that make trbc more pronounced? In those kind of winds in a small plane (carenado bonanza) I should be getting pushed around.

The current level of turbulence will be displayed in the Spy window, anything above level 2 should produce some noticeable aircraft effects (all down to the sim at the moment due to problems with most aircraft sims coping with Bump Aircraft. We are currently looking into a new version (sim friendly) of Bump Aircraft. Check your Spy window for an ideal of the turbulence strength (Max 8), of course you will need GRIB data enabled so check your Lower and Upper Reports to make sure you have GRIB forecast data. The on screen reports will also warn of wind shear levels, if any. Others report very healthy turbulent motion, ASI and Altitude fluctuations produced in the sim. Airline pilots also report realistic effects throughout medium and lower altitudes on descent. 20 gusting 28 should give some low level effects (check Spy) but not excessive, perhaps getting up to level 3 or 4. It can depend on other factors.

I might be able to re introduce Bump Aircraft for FSX (not P3D which does not like it at all) depends on how the DHM upgrades and new Bump Aircraft development goes. But you should check Spy to see what level of turbulence is set. 28 gusts was only 8 knots relative to the 20 knot wind, should give some healthy level of turbulence but perhaps not too high. Not sure what effect AccuFeel has. You should also check your DHM settings for the camera view, set all defaults and use the test to make sure you have smooth motion.

Okay, so I had spy window open and checked the turbulence in Frequency in the 20 gusting 28 area, Turbulence strength 1 / Frequency 1. So I tried multiple airports some with windy conditions and some with calm wind conditions, every airport I visited the spy window always showed, Turbulence strength 1 / Frequency 1. I do have GRIB data enabled.  When airborne I did notice that the strength increased to level 2 and 3 (when I took off from KAGS airport). The "turbulent motion" works good as does the "turbulent bumps" however the bump aircraft/actual movement of the airplane is slight/minimal or non-existent.  Any recommendations on Accu-feel trbc?

As I have mentioned before, previous releases I had noticeable turbulence, however the past two not much at all.

thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it.

You will need to be airborne as the turbulence when sat on the ground is a little meaningless. Turbulence level 2 or 3 is only going to produce slight aircraft effects within the sim (equivalent to level 1 of 4 inside the sim). You will need to get to strengths 4 upward to start seeing more major aircraft effects. Everyone reports very healthy turbulent motion which is what we get, but you do need some reasonably turbulent conditions. 20 knot surface wind would not by itself warrant strong turbulence, noticeable yes but not strong. Perhaps look for areas of TCUs or CBs, 25+ knot surface winds, 30 knot gusts etc.. Or relocate to a warmer, more thermic climate.

You must have GRIB data otherwise you will not get any effects in the sim.

I have made a note to check the latest turbulence calculations comparing them to past versions. Pretty sure everything is much as it was, could be that it's now winter in the N hemisphere hence less thermals around noon or early afternoon etc..

I can increase the turbulence slightly at lower levels when there are any gusts reported and I will look to reinstate Bump Aircraft for non-Prepar3D systems. I will post the changes in the next beta or release for you to try. But I would advise you keep an eye on the aircrafts response and reaction to BA as many sims simply cannot cope. Unfortunately P3D reject all BA type adjustments completely but the new coordinated Turbulence and Shear 'in sim' data seems to be working very well here and has very favourable feedback from many experienced RW pilots including airline pilots. So you may find the flight experience is better with BA turned OFF.

You should have all the turbulence effects in Accu-feel switched off since having them on would cause conflict with Opus.

We have released a new beta and modified the turbulence strength to increase low level turbulence in windy or gusty conditions and also take into account the Less and More Turbulence options in the user's DHM settings. The DHM Bump Aircraft has been re-enabled for non-Prepar3D systems (people are advised to use this with caution and it is still recommended to use the coordinated 'in sim' turbulence and wind shear data).

Cheryl

Stephen / Cheryl...

Thanks for the customer feedback and implementation... I downloaded and tried release 4.44.1 and it is great with the gusty wind turbulence effects near surface levels... I guess my sim handles the bump aircraft feature well.