Hi everyone I'm after some advice for a dedicated pc to run fsx, I'll be wanting add ons like uk2000 egnt orbx england also some aircraft like the 777-737 and possibly heathrow and dubai

What I have so far is

Processor: i7 4790k

Motherboard:????

Menory: 8-16gb ddr3 1866 mhz ram???

Graphics card: evga gtx970

1st hard drive: Ssd?

2nd hard drive:????

Power supply:???

Processor cooling:????

Operating system: ?????

Any advice is really appreciated as im really no good with PCs, the one thing I may have to do is buy the graphics card separatly as everywhere ive looked don't have the evga gtx graphics card listed and ive heard that's the best from the 970 series with cooling etc

Hi, I've just finished building a new rig for FSX using similar components to you, I haven't installed FSX yet, still o'clocking and testing but I seem stable at 4.8ghz @1.23v with temps in mid 60s. (will probably throttle back to 4.7ghz @1.20v) My spec is :-

i7 4790k

Asus z97 pro wi-fi motherboard

16gb 2400mhz c10 RAM (Team group) (currently running at 2133mhz)

KFA2 GTX970

120gb SSD for O.S.

250gb SSD for FSX

2 other HDDs for less important stuff and data

750w PSU (Superflower Gold)

Corsair h100i cooling

All stuffed into a Cooler Master HAF X case (not very pretty but loads of room)

Even though this is, I think, a well specified PC I am not expecting high FPS with all sliders maxed out, lots of testing in FSX still to come.

Hope this helps,

Peter

p.s. I guess by your username and interest in EGNT you're from the North East of UK? I live just South of EGNV!

Hi, I've just finished building a new rig for FSX using similar components to you, I haven't installed FSX yet, still o'clocking and testing but I seem stable at 4.8ghz @1.23v with temps in mid 60s. (will probably throttle back to 4.7ghz @1.20v) My spec is :-

i7 4790k

Asus z97 pro wi-fi motherboard

16gb 2400mhz c10 RAM (Team group) (currently running at 2133mhz)

KFA2 GTX970

120gb SSD for O.S.

250gb SSD for FSX

2 other HDDs for less important stuff and data

750w PSU (Superflower Gold)

Corsair h100i cooling

All stuffed into a Cooler Master HAF X case (not very pretty but loads of room)

Even though this is, I think, a well specified PC I am not expecting high FPS with all sliders maxed out, lots of testing in FSX still to come.

Hope this helps,

Peter

p.s. I guess by your username and interest in EGNT you're from the North East of UK? I live just South of EGNV!

Yes I live in the north East and also work at egnt :) it's a shame durham lost a lot of contacts over the past few years

Hi again. I didn't really answer the questions you originally asked when I replied to you yesterday, so here goes.

If you intend to run ONLY FSX and don't intend to overclock your system then I would suggest the i7 4790k (you don't really need the k version if you don't intend to overclock but I would go with it anyway, you might get tempted!), any mid priced z97 motherboard will be OK but the majority of the flightsim community who overclock their systems seem to favour Asus boards. 8gb of 1866mhz memory is OK for FSX but if you intend to port over to Prepar3d or XPlane then I would suggest at least 16gb of 2133mhz RAM. Any GTX 970 is plenty good enough for FSX but if you really want an EVGA then go to www.Overclockers.co.uk who stock them. As for hard drives I would go with what I have, i.e. a 120gb SSD for the operating system (Windows 7 64 bit HP) and a 250 gb SSD for FSX, I would also be tempted to put in a separate conventional hard drive of at least 500gb for texture library programmes such as REX4 or ActiveSky Graphics  and such things which take a lot of disc space, REX for example takes about 16gb of space which you don't really want clogging up you FSX drive. A 650w PSU would be fine but a 750w would give you more headroom for future upgrades and potentially better system stability but whichever you go for try and get one rated at '80 plus gold'. If you don't intend to overclock then the stock cooler that comes with the i4790k is OK, JUST, that processor runs hot and I've read reports of temps as high as 80-90C when running at stock speeds of 4.0/4.4ghz so I would suggest a decent after market cooler, anything in £40-50 price range will be way better than the stock cooler, or you could go with a water cooler such as the Corsair h80i which most system builders seem to offer. As for the operating system go for Window 7 NOT 8 or 8.1, I have no experience myself of Windows 8 but the consensus of opinion is to stay away from it, anyway it seems likely that all owners of Windows 7 and Windows 8 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out later this year (but wait until it's been out for 6 months before getting it!). Well that's about all I can think of for now, I hope whatever you get works well for you but please remember, as as been said many times on these forums, whatever your hardware you will NEVER get FSX to run with high frame rates with all sliders max'd out with lots of AI and complex scenery and aircraft add-ons!!!  One other thing, believe me building your own system is not at all difficult plus on a system such as I outlined you would save between £200/300.

Thanks easypc!! I prbz would over clock if it makes fsx run better

On my old pre build rig from pc world ( big mistake for the pice!! ) I was getting 30fps most placed apart from my added on egnt ( with big ac like the 777-300er ) most other aircraft were fine and that was with most sliders set to max but air traffic turned down to nearly zero and road traffic etc to zero

Let me know how you get on with your build please and good luck and hope it works amazing