Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

Constantly rebuilding scenery upon FS9 startup

Guest JTEK99

I cannot figure out why this is happening. I checked my scenery.cfg file to see if there were duplicate layer/item numbers, but to no avail.In short, every single time I startup FS9, it says it is "building the scenery" cache (even though I have not installed any new scenery). Any way to stop this? Has anyone had a similar problem?I did a search here for the answer, but couldn't find anything.Any idea on what this might be?Thanks for any info.

Guest UlfB

Hi,Maybe you have the checked the check box 'Empty CD-ROM Scenery cache on exit'? Have a look on the screen Settings, Scenery library.Good luck :) Ulf B

Guest JTEK99

>Maybe you have the checked the check box 'Empty CD-ROM Scenery>cache on exit'? Have a look on the screen Settings, Scenery>library.Ulf:Ahhh, wish it was that. The box is unchecked as always. :(If I could solve this, it would cut down on the FS load time by a few magnitudes.Thanks for replying!

Hi there,you probably have a double entry in your scenery.cfg. Either check and fix this in a text editor or, better yet, use one of the available repair utilities. I'm using Steve Greenwood's utility available here (third link from the top): http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtmlCheers, Holger

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Or check to see if any scenery .cfg entry under #100 is actually a three digit number. Some self-installing scenery packages will create an entry with only 2 digits (eg: 60) instead of three (060). Just a thought.

Guest JTEK99

Holger and Cap Havoc:Hey! Thanks for the tips on dealing with the mysteriously repeating "rebuilding scenery" messages at FS9 startup.The utility recommended by Holger did locate an error in "Area 101"; but the results are different than I expected.First off, the utility flawlessly matched the layers and area numbers, so at least organizationally, the scenery.cfg file is a lot smoother. A by-product of this is that FS9 *definitely* starts up much faster than it did before.Interestingly enough, however, I am _still_ getting the scenery rebuild message at the start of FS9. The gauge in the rebuilding dialog proceeds much, much faster now; but, again, it's still there and I can't figure out why.I remember reading a post some months ago (which I cannot find now) about a similar problem with the scenery.cfg file; I seem to remember that the problem occurred because of other scenery.cfg related files. It was something about another scenery.*** file that FS9 uses to startup and compare with the current scenery.cfg. I also seem to remember that deleting the files in question solved the problem.If the above jogs anyone's memory, please reply. I'd love to get it all squared away.Again, thanks for the tips... regardless of the recurring dialog, FS9 is starting up many times faster than before.

Guest Charlie Hall

There is on my system at least a scenery.cfg file in the same folder as fs9.cfg (Documents and Settings etc. etc.). I don't know the purpose of it but I am sure it is not the main scenery.cfg file which is found in the main fs9 folder. Maybe renaming this second version to scenery.cfg.bak will help?

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy Charlie,The duplicate scenery.cfg file in My Docs is most probably the result of an error report that was (or maybe not) sent to MS when FS had to shut down unexpectedly (you know: "FS has encountered an unexpected Error and will now shut down. Do you wish to send a report to MS?"). It (and the associated DXDiag. file) can be deleted safely as it has no bearing upon the way FS performs (though they do make for interesting reading. :) ).

Guest firehawk44

I had this problem once before and recall it was an error within the scenery.cfg. Make sure any recent scenery addon is directed to the proper directory on your harddrive. FS9 is probably having a hard time finding the scenery directory called by the scenery config. You may have to start disabling recently installed scenery within your scenery library until the problem is fixed. I would also rename or delete the scenery.cfg located in your Document and Settings folder.Jim

This once happened to me and was very annoying. In my case it was down to a particular freeware scenery add-on, and when I got rid of it everything was fine. How I found which addon caused the problem was to use a binary search approach. First copy your scenery.cfg somewhere safe, 'cos this approach is going to mangle it. Then edit the copy which is still in your flight simulator 9 folder by deleting the last half of it (doesn't need to be exactly half, but do take note of the highest scenery number in the bit that remains). Start up fs9 let it rebuild, then quit fs9, before re-starting it, and if the rebuilding dialogue shows in this second start (*) then you still have the error which must therefore be in the first half of your scenery.cfg, i.e. in the bit you didn't delete. If it doesn't produce the re-build dialogue then the error is in the bit you deleted. Copy back the pristine scenery.cfg, and now only delete the last quarter of it (again doesnt need to be exactly 25%). And repeat the process until you narrow it down to a handful of scenery entries. At which point you can just set them one by one to "Active=FALSE" to see which is the troublesome one. I hope I've made myself clear cos its not that complicated to do, and my scenery.cfg had several hundred entries when I did this.(* I'm a bit hazy about whether you really do need to do this twice - it was a couple of years ago that I did this).Good luck in getting it sorted.craigewan

Guest Bry

One thing it might be and that most of these tools don't seem to find is in the "Local=" line of the entries.For example I was just having the same problem and the reason why was because instead of reading:Local=Addon Scenery(scenery file)It readLocal=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon Scenery(scenery file)Removing the C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 part completely resolved my scenery database rebuilding itself every time.