Sign in to follow this  
Airbrnetravel

Condition Levers

The checklist I have (it's for the Aeroworx King Air 200, as I can't seem to find my B1900 checklist) has mentions of putting the condition levers into low idle during the start procedures etc. It doesn't have anything about putting them to high idle for t/o or landing... is this correct use of them?

I've read that MSFS doesn't simulate their use very well and that leaving them in low idle is a more realistic "feel".

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On a Battery start after starting the first engine then you need to select high idle prior to bringing on the right generator. Because the battery will need to be recharged you will most likely exceed 50% and 75% generator loads. The condition lever will remain in high idle for the second engine start then after you are given the option for setting the condition levers. In low idle the -67D engines meet the minimum requirement of 65% for Air Conditioning so as long as generator load is not a factor then you can use low idle.

Low idle is not really any more realistic other than you have to push forward on the power levers in order to taxi. In high idle because the N1 is at 71% the engines are generally producing enough thrust the aircraft will start to move forward without any forward movement of the power levers after break release. Thus to manage speed the pilot uses ground fine. Since FSX/P3D does not model ground fine this makes taxiing problematic with most 'riding' the breaks.

For TO and Landing most operators that I know of use High Idle. This ensures that the engines are turning fast enough to support 100% generator load in flight even when the power levers are at low idle. However, there are a few that operate on gravel runways that use low idle to minimize damage to the propeller blades. Again operator choice here, high idle means that propeller reversing is more responsive while low idle means the propellers are turning slower during touchdown.