Sign in to follow this  
Patriot3810

need help,think my motherboard or cpu died

hi guys i have a msi x99 sli plus motherboard and a 5820k cpu, a gtx 970, and 16 gb of corsair ddr4 2666.i turned my computer off add bedtime and the next morning it would turn on and nothing would come up on the screen.i went and bought a new power supply and still no go.all this hardware is 2 months old.i narrowed it down to being the motherboard, i was just curious to what you guys think the chances of the cpu being bad as well, i have ran the cpu at 1.285v at 4.6 ghz the whole time and never went over,nothing is burned looking, and i am really frustrated,i have tested 2 gtx 970's, 2 monitors, so i pretty much know its not the gpu,monitor,ram or psu.i was gonna go ahead and order a new motherboard today, but if the cpu is bad i might as well just go back to a 4790k i simply can't afford to replace all this hardware again.i paid over 1,000 just for the cpu, motherboard and ram.i also have a 256gb m.2 samsung 951.

If it's only two months old, warranty is your best friend, however I risked doing a BIOS-flash with the AMIFLASH tool on my half-dead-mainboard (you have to be able to boot into windows) and I completely fixed it.

Now, the first steps, which are not breaking the warranty are definitely doing the complete CMOS-reset, including taking the battery out and disconnecting the PSU (either cable off the mainboard, or power-off on the PSU). If that doesn't pull it out, the Flashback is your next best chance.

If you are able to get into windows without changing anything in the BIOS (overclocking, XMP, all off), then try the AMIFLASH (IF your BIOS is AMI) with program all blocks on. Not sure if the tool breaks the warranty though, since it's not vendor-specific.

thanks for the reply, i ordered a new motherboard yesturday and rma'd my msi x99, when the msi comes back i am gonna sell it as a refurbished product on ebay. if my pc doesnt boot after changing the board tomorrow, its probably my

cpu and i already have an rma ready for my 5820k, i was told its unlikely the cpu went bad that the motherboard is what probably died.this is frustrating, i have never had a new part die in 2 months in 20 years that i have been buying parts, so i guess i have been very lucky.i bought an asus board this time.

anyone that has direct tv may not know, but for 25.00 a month they have insurance that replaces tv's phones,laptops,tablets and desktops.i didnt want to rma each pc part so i paid a 50.00 copay and direct tv send me a box with a return label 2 day shipping.i packed my pc up free 2 day shipping to them,they fix the problem within 3 days and 2 day ship back to me,they send the old part back that failed, then it can be rma'd back and resold.up to 6,000 a year.my tv went bad this past febuary, and they replaced it with a new tv that was 120hz and my old one was 60 hz, just a heads up for direct tv people.now i will have to wait up to 10 days from 7-24 to get my pc back or it could be as soon as 7-30. hope this helps some.