Sign in to follow this  
Manny

WideFS

Guest bonjourmoi44

I was just informed in another thread of the software program WideFS and its purpose. From those who own this: Does it improve performance dramatically? Is this software worth the price ticket? Any opinions would be very welcome. Thank you.

Guest UweR

Hi,"Does it improve performance dramatically?"WideFS itself doesn

I use WideFS with FS2002 and FreeFD to display a glass cockpit on a second computer. Since it's free for FS02 I couldn't tell you whether it's worth the cost but I don't use it as much as I thought I would.I can't see how it could possibly improve performance. If anything having an extra module running degrades it. I have written a script to disable it when it's not in use.

Guest Moviedirector20

For me it was great, I have FS9 and I offloaded SB3 and ASV to a second comp, I got barely 1 FP lower than having neither of those when running both, its great!

Guest bonjourmoi44

Uwe,I have a laptop that is quite powerful and its only purpose for FS is to surf forums. I would like to use its power to help the performance of FS. You said outsourcing was not the primary purpose of WideFS, so what then is the primary purpose. Also, thanks all for the replies. Quite interesting!

Guest Moviedirector20

Outsourcing is the primary purpose of WideFS. Basically what it does is that it feeds information that third party software needs over ethernet, so the programs think they are running on the same computer but they are not.

I use WideFS So that I can Run Project Magenta IFR Panel on my laptop while the Flight sim runs on the desktop.Using IFR Panel with WideFS and FSUIPC (this is another piece thats needed) does not hurt the FS9 Performance one bit.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter