Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

More thiefs than Ferdy floating around

Guest squared2

Hey guys, I found a few of my files on a few other websites other than avsim. The problem is, the only websites I uploaded the files to were avsim.. so I guess the .zip files grew legs and walked over to other servers. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the FS2004 files from Avsim would be on this site.. I found my files on these servers:http://www.fsdome.comhttp://www.fsfreeware.comand I'll probably find more as time goes on. poskysig.jpg

yes, it's endemic.Found some of mine on simviation and flightsim.com that I uploaded here as well.In case of those two and fsfreeware I doubt it's deliberate leeching by the site operators. More likely people think they're doing the community a service by distributing things they find at one site to another so more people can find it that may not visit all sites.

Guest daveg4otu

Same here - haven't checked elsewhere but found some of mine on Flightsim.com.............. my only uploads have been to Avsim.................don't know whether to be flattered or p***** off.Edit: Just looked at FSFreeware and found some there including one (Upper Heyford) that I only uploaded here about 4 days ago -- how's that for speed?Dave

I pretty much accept my work will end up elsewhere when I upload it to Avsim. Although I seek permission in my license agreement, I'd say only one in twenty ask. I allow this anyway, as long as the site isn't a blatant attempt to collect money to allow easy access to files.Flightsim.com has always been a gray area. I know they offer paid memberships, but I've also never spent more than a few moments trying to test free access to my files. So I don't mind my files ending up there--I still hold a lot of respect for that site.The way I look at freeware, if you are very concerned about files ending up elsewhere (even on free sites) and find the stress a challenge to cope with, don't practice in this "black art". :) This is the Internet, and there's as many lowlifes here as you'd find in any crowded city.If you feel a site is charging for your work and feel strongly about it, you need to get all the authors together who are also so injured, and get them to join a class action suit. Even if a site has stolen your work and is charging for it, unless it is the sole file hosted on that site, likely the amount of revenue collected against your title is very small. That's why the only real way to close the sites collecting money vs. our sweat and our challenges is to join together and file suit. You may get pennies for the damages, or nothing at all, but the point is you'd likely put the site out of business.-John