Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

The "Horus" was the plane in the episode at 11:00PM Tue the,

Guest kingairvols

27th of july, 2004. Time refrenced is EST.There was an episode of "Vanisings" at the time noted that was about a crash 42 years ago in the Sahara desert. The Horus looked like a "Connie". I am just courious. I dont watch much TV, (this is the second aircraft question fron a TV show in as many weeks, but hey having problems with on-line flying and I figured a may learn somthing.Thee reason for the crash was a pilot sat in for a navigator and for what ever reason set the compas wrong(I am just repeating what was in the documentary), but after many hours in the air going the wrong way and low on fuel the head Pilot was forced to crash land the four prop liner in the sand. I was wanting to knoow more info on the plane in relation to performance, fuel ect...Agian, this is a sign of frustration with the multiplayer, and needing a break from flying alone. But it was intresting. Thanks for any help.Mark. P.S. I tried a search here in the Library, checked the spelling and no luck. Agian it looked like the 4 prop "connie", thanks.

Guest ba747heavy

Mark,I saw that show and I swear the plane they showed wasn't a 'horus' as they called it, but a Connie like you mentioned.

Guest GalacticCowboy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/g...rt_rescue.shtmlAccording to the first page at that site, the aircraft was a Handley Page "Hermes". That particular craft, BOAC reg # G-ALDN, was called the Horus. Presumably other craft in the African fleet went by other Egyptian gods' names? :)I caught about 5 minutes of the show last night too, but at the point I saw it they were mainly digging in the sand and pulling up parts...

Guest kingairvols

Thanks,Yea once in the sand a bit boring in terms of aviation. I would not have wanted to be in there shoes.Was the Connie as mentioned above made by the same company. The reason I ask is the vertical stabilizer looked almost identical.Thanks.

Guest GalacticCowboy

The "Connie", or Constellation, was made by Lockheed. I'm not aware of any relationship between them.