Sign in to follow this  
ZG862

Abbreviated GA Callsigns?

Hi there.

Here in Blighty ( :england-flag:), our rules for abbreviating General Aviation call signs are a little different from those used on the western side of the pond ( :united-states-flag:).

The full call sign G-ABCD would be abbreviated where appropriate to G-CD.

Whilst I am aware that VoxATC has this covered, can more realistic abbreviation be achieved with the base product?

Cheers,

Z

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was able to do it using the default Blue/Gold Cessna 172 tail number G-BAFM.  I selected that aircraft

and went to "Details" and changed the tail number to G-FM and that was used as the callsign, if that's

what your are looking to do.

Thanks Charlie.

Whilst that is a great back-stop solution, I was hoping to learn if the built in ATC is able to abbreviate a "X-XXXX" or "XX-XXX" format correctly - or at least consistently (by which I mean I'm not expecting a controller to realise that there are 2 similar call signs on frequency and require them to use the full call sign).

I haven't paid as much attention as I should have but believe that FSX abbreviates "N-99999" signs to "[Type]-999" but treats the European codes the same  - e.g. I though G-BAFM becomes "Cessa AFM" by default. I'll have a play and see if I can work out exactly what it is doing.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Z