Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

X52 stops working.. FS9.cfg overwritten... what's happening?

Swoop, thanks for the gaugesound.dll file - it's more up to date than the one I had, so I have installed it...

Swoop, thanks for the gaugesound.dll file - it's more up to date than the one I had, so I have installed it...

You're welcome! I like the fact that they've included the headers files (.h) in their package. It provides a view into what the dll is actually doing as there's (seemingly) too much mystery with simming.

Mark

Not helped with my ongoing problems though. Landed at HKJK (Nairobi) and as I get to the taxiway (this is always where it seems to happen; maybe that's relevant), FS9 freezes up. Nothing works.. In Task Manager FS9 CPU usage is zero and I have to kill the process to get the use of the PC back. So many possibilities, I hardly know where to start to troubleshoot it! I don't think it's hardware, though I can't be 100% sure of course. The CPU temperatures are OK at least..

Event Manager shows these messages at about the same time:

A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Microsoft Flight Simulator)
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

The maximum file size for session "ReadyBoot" has been reached.  Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

Maybe I should start a new thread, as this doesn't really relate to my Saitek controller.

My family think I should wipe the PC and find another hobby! Hmmm.

I wonder if this could be a bad texture issue. If it is a texture issue, it could be in an added scenery, an aircraft, or in the global texture folders ("Flight Simulator 9\Scenery").

First and if you're not already using one, an unmodified default aircraft might be helpfull if you decide to test for a bad texture(s). Fly the default Cessna 172 for awhile.

If it was my sim, I would start by commenting out the last few sceneries I've added. Then bring them back in one at a time, leaving the airport which might have caused a CTD for last.

Others comment out blocks of sceney but in either case, it really is a pain in the butt to find a bad texture (if there is one). By the way, valid scenery.cfg line comments are either a semi-colon (;) or two forward slashes (//).

System Maintenance Tasks...

With regards to the ReadyBoot stuff, clear your "%windir%\Prefetch" folder. It's OK to delete everything in that folder. Then, go into the Windows Event Viewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s) and clear the ReadyBoot log (you might want to save the log before clearing it).

Also and while you're in the Windows Event viewer, make sure that you don't have any "Known Folders" log errors. If you find that there are errors with known folders missing, it might be a good idea to create the missing folders.

Other than that, I would take a look at your boot-up config to see what Windows is running at startup. (%windir%\system32\msconfig.exe)

Let the group know how you fare...

Mark

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am starting with a texture issue.. using DXTFixer. It has found some faulty bitmaps and has corrected them, but there are a lot to go through yet.

Yes, I'll post back as and when there is any progress..