Sign in to follow this  
Guest flyhi

Help, can't install a program!

Guest Philip Olson

I have a hard one for you guys. I was trying to install a much older program onto my XP machine and it will not install, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help me. It has an old 16 bit installer and when I click on the SETUP.EXE file nothing happens, nothing at all. I have tried various compatibility settings and nothing seems to work, i.e. Win 95, Win 98, NT4.0, there is no change at all with any of the settings. I think that this program is an old flight sim program, but I am not sure as it is difficult to tell, so I thought that I would see for sure but I can't get it to even begin the installation. Does anyone have any experience with a 16 bit installer in Windows XP. I have also tried shutting down programs and services and even installing it in safe mode but still no joy. Oh, I also tried going through the add/remove programs routine and still no joy.Thanks,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest flyhi

Hello Philip.Just an idea. Have you tryed it in DOS ?Also, I have PCs running WinXP,Me,98 and 95. I could try it under these Oper.Systems - if the program is not big in size so that it can be transfered elecronicaly ( i use an isdn line) and you want i could try it so to see that there is no problem with the installer itsself.nikolas vegas

Guest Philip Olson

Hi Nikolas, Sorry it took so long for me to thank you for your help, I have been so busy working on other peoples computers I have not had time for my own. Right now I have Windows XP loading on one computer I just built, I am 3/4 through building another and I am in the middle of designing a web page on one of my other PC's, and of course it is for someone else as well, and it is now 11:34 pm, no rest for the wicked. :-) I have not even had the chance to try your suggestion, I can not believe that I did not think about that, this is what I get for working so much, my mind stops working! I think the program weighs in at about 22 mb if I remember correctly. If you want to give it a try while I am swamped with work let me know. Just tell me what your preferred method of receiving the file is and I'll set it up. I was really stupid to not keep at least one of my computers running Windows 98, there have been a few times that I could have used it. Maybe when I have time I'll set one up for dual boot or something. Thanks for everything!!!!!!!!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest flyhi

Hello Philip.I know very well how it is to work much. I run my own business, so i understand.I can not receive the file via email becouse i do not have so much space in the email box !!!But you could upload it somewhere, post the link here or email it to me, i'll download and try it.best regards,nikolas