Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

How to lose 10+ fps P3D2.5 - P3D3.2

Guest JustanotherPilot

In a recent post in this forum I explained how I gained 10-15fps by discovering that my Internet Security software was scanning all programs associated with P3D, in real time, and by adding these to exclusions within the software I picked up 10-15fps. I can now increase performance sliders within the Prepar3D for a smoother more realistic game-play.

While further experimenting on how to find the perfect settings for  P3D3.2 I stumbled upon a way to lose 10+ fps. Quit simply, put your computer in hibernation mode, while P3D is loaded, then wake the PC up and try to resume play, I guarantee your framerate will be nowhere near what is was before hibernation. On my system normal frame rates don't return for some 15-20 minutes after hibernation has ended, if I go straight back into play.

My operating system is windows 7, 64bit professional, and after googling this phenomenon I found it is common through Win7 - Win 8 and to a lessor extent Win 10. Apparently, it's got to do with how windows stores your settings at the time it entered hibernation, some to RAM, but mostly writes to your disk. I'm no tech guru but more in-depth explanations can be found via the internet.

To overcome this,  if I pause P3D after waking it from hibernation, normal frame rates will return quicker than if I resume play straight after waking the PC (makes sense) but in my case this takes about 10-15mins. Ideally the best way is to reboot the computer and start P3D again, but sometimes this isn't practical when flying long haul and you hibernate the computer while you take a break. I now plan all of my flights  considering the time my PC needs to be active, and if hibernating, the time needed to resume to return to the desired fps.

Just thought I'd pass this on for those interested in my observations.