Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Question for RW Pilots

Guest av84fun

<>That is absolutely correct. VERY respected aerodynamicists debate the technical issues endlessly.In fact, what makes airplanes fly is.................MONEY!STICK AND RUDDER is a classic book that if truly learned by all pilots would result in far fewer accidents. The preoccupation with AofA while ENDLESSLY discussed in the book is STILL not well understood by a LOT of pilots and for that reason alone, the book should be read by all pilots.The book is generally criticized, and rightfully so...up to a point...by suggesting that downforce (Newton's 3rd Law) is THE reason why wings fly. The Bernoulli principal was wrongfully ignored but then again, that principal is HUGELY overstated by some and misunderstood by others. And I don't think that Langewiesche ever heard of the Coanda effect.Bottom line...Langewiesche was as correct as he needed to be in citing Newton's 3rd law and the rest of it is for aerodynamicists to quibble about whereas the highly subtle contributions made by other forces are "intellectual overkill" for pilots.The link below is an outstanding one for those interested in the subject and it contains links to exceptionally thorough studies by NASA as well.www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mairplanesfly.html

Guest av84fun

<>See my other post. Actually, the topic of what causes wings to fly IS debated ad nauseum. Most modern research now holds that the opposite reaction to down force is the PRIMARY but not the excuslive cause of lift.Regards,Jim

Guest av84fun

Well, number one, most of the "gripes" associated with the sim have to do with "twitchy" controls and trim. That, of course, is a rig-specific issue and one that cannot be generalized.I have a PFC rig with a spring loaded yoke and hydraulic rudders. They ARE NOT twitchy but rather fairly relistic. My trim imputs are smooth and not overly sensitive.As for sim vs. RW being easier, I just taught my 73 year old father-in-law to fly my sim. In less than 5 hours he can take off, land, shoot a respectable ILS approach and LAND without incident. His landings are "chirp and stick" EVERY TIME. (one of the major flaws in flight sims is that.)So anyone who wishes to prove this debate can go flying...handcuffed behind your back...with a 5 hour RW student...and God bless you.(-:Jim

Guest Adverse Yawn

>> But there is no replacement for the real thing. In a real airplane I >>can feel and see what the plane is doingIts a double edged sword. For untrained pilots, those feelings for what the plane is doing would probably kill you in IMC. Untrained pilots find it very difficult to believe that the instruments are telling him that he is straight and level when his inner ear is screaming that he is in a spiral dive and about to die. The speed at which this happens was demonstrated in my first few of hours of training when I turned out to sea on a beautiful cloudless day. The sea and sky merged, I couldn't focus more than a few meters in front of the plane, I started to become confused and I simply lost control...litterally in seconds. I was an experienced simmer at the time and found learning to fly generally easy. I think there is some statistic for non-instrument PPLs life expectancy in IMC, something like 147 seconds. I now have an instrument rating and occasionally still experience "the leans" as it is called, but the training stops you from responding to the sensation. You simply don't experience this confusion in a sim.

>Well, number one, most of the "gripes" associated with the>sim have to do with "twitchy" controls and trim. That, of>course, is a rig-specific issue and one that cannot be>generalized.>In addition to full size flight, with sticks of varying lengths, I flew R/C for many years with those little 2" sticks. Thanks to that, I seem to adapt quite easily, and don't find much twichyness. Others, who have used my sim system, are porpousing all over the place.Even in the kitbuilt industry, you'll get quite a few comments about the planes handleing, when a builder cuts a stick quite short. And a plane could have been flown for years, only to crash on the first flight, by a pilot who is not use to sensitive control inputs.L.Adamson