Sign in to follow this  
Emile

Help! Strange 'Out Of Memory' Crash/Error and CTDs

Guest ptsd

Hello All.I'm in need of some serious help here as I've had a massive problem with my FS for some time now. I can't complete a flight, and sometimes can't even start one!My test flight tends to be Birmingham (EGBB) to Glasgow (EGPF) but I have tested in other areas and always get similar results.Basically one of three things will happen to FS. As the flight 'loads' it will get to about 96-98% (loading traffic) and 'bang', I'm back looking at the desktop. If this happens I get no error messages whatsoever. If the flight manages to load it may pretty much instantly lock up for a few seconds before giving me an error, and a chance to file an error report. The error report always sends off the fs9.cfg, dxdiag.xml and scenery.cfg, and there is some mention of a dll, but the dll name always varies. The final thing that may happen is what I experience most. I can start a flight, enjoy the cruise, but as soon as I begin the descent FS minimizes and I receive an 'out of memory' error. So, I take a look at the Task Manager which shows that RAM usage peaked somewhere around the 1GB mark, and PF usage peaks around 700Mb, so there should be plenty available as I have 2Gb of RAM and a 4Gb page file.Now, despite FS being 'out of memory' it is still running and I am able to back into the sim and continue flying. Everything continues to work a-Ok except that the textures never load/reload. The ground scenery becomes blurry, if I view the outside of the aircraft the textures won't load, and on arriving at my destination everything is blank.I have tried this flight over and over again, with different results each time and from I can tell, no logic between the result. I have tried flying it without add-on scenery, without add-on aircraft, without AI (manually added and default), without external weather. I have even tried it 'clean', ie no addons, no AI, no weather, but i still get a crash of some kind.Hardware wise everything is (should be) up-to-date. I'm running a P4 2.6Ghz HT, 800FSB, 2GB Dual Channel DDR400 (4x 512Mb), 2x 120Gb SATA Hdds on a RAID0, GFX5600 w/ 256Mb RAM, Audigy LS soundcard, 1x floppy, 1x CD-RW, 1x DVD-RW and also have a Saitek X45 joystick/throttle.Software wise I'm running FS9 with the patch, I run with Disk 4 in the drive, tend to fly PMDG 737, PSS A320 or Feelthere Erj145. Add-on Scenery is freeware stuff, and I have Activesky 2004.5 for weather and use FSBuild for flight-planning. My AI is manually constructed using mostly MRAI (God bless 'em) plans and PAI, AIA, and other a/c. My AI is vast though, spanning several bgls and totalling around 80Mb.Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this to happen??? I'm completely baffled by this and am at a point where I am about to give up. Something is obviously seriously wrong here but I can't put my finger on what.Desperatly needing assistance on this one!Thanks,Paul.

Guest firehawk44

In regards to the Out of Memory message, I found that if you don't have the system manage your memory, FS9 will crash. Check your system properties and make sure your virtual memory in Performance Options is "system managed size" and see if that fixes your problem.Jim

Guest ptsd

Hi.Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't help my problem. FS still crashed in the descent.Anybody else have any suggestions?Thanks, Paul.

Hello,Try :http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.htmlFilemon will show what file FS9 is using before and at that moment.Use the "filter" settings so that only files from FS9 are reported .BTW Filemon is free and works great !Hope it helps

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64