Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Modifying existing approaches to airports

Guest n8mdp

Being a casual user of FS9, but a frequent business traveler to cities like Boston and Cleveland, I try to recreate the flights. Unfortunately, the approaches used by these actual airports are not the approaches used by FS9. For example, flying to Boston from the west such as from Cleveland, assuming the runway in use is 4R at Boston Logan, the actual approach takes you north of the airport, then a right turn to 220 degrees. This puts you on a right downwind for the airport over the ocean. Then a turn to the right to intercept the ILS for the approach to 4R.For Cleveland, when approaching from the east for a landing on 6R, FS9 takes you way to the south to vector you to the approach. The actual approach from the Chardon (CXR) VOR is to head towards Cleveland heading 270. At some point, you then make a left turn to 240 degrees to put you on a right downwind for 6R. Then a final turn to intercept the ILS. In both cases, FS9 does not even match the actual approach used by these airports, and I am sure many others.Is there a way to modify the ATC approaches in FS9 to recreate the actual approaches used by these airports?Thanks for the help.

You can always ignore FS9 ATC and fly the whole AP procedure yourself... :)You can also join VATSIM or IVAO for a more realistic ATC :)regards,Macs.

Any real world approach is selectable in FS to fly with the default ATC and GPS - except the default ILS approaches.Those have to be dumbed down for AI to work.When you are assigned an approach by the FS2004 ATC - tell then to standby and select a different approach.You should have a good knowledge of the real world approaches - personally I have a slightly outdated Jeppsen set which I use for FS - but you can get free approach plates from the FAA website. There is a link on the www.airnav.com website for the approach plates for each airport.You can easily fly DP (used to be called SID) and STAR procedures and complete approaches, including holding patterns to allow for slow descents.I recommend choosing the RNAV / GPS approaches - those closely match the ILS approaches.An added benefit is that the ATC gives you a different priority when you use an approach other than the ILS - which makes your aircraft the priority - no more AI cutting you off.Remember never ask for an alternate runway - only for an alternate approach.