Sign in to follow this  
Guest zillmer

A "wee" treat from BA!

Guest Whisperjet

Just a wee line to say thanx to British Airways for the flight home yesterday from Gatwick to Glasgow.Turned up at Gatwick for the 17.35 737-300 flight home to find that the previous flight to Glasgow had been cancelled due to the aircraft going "tech". Didn't think much about it as I reckoned they would have got another aircraft for them ok! My flight was called and we were told to board the bus as the aircraft was on a remote stand. Ok!Headed out to the aircraft. Thought the driver had got lost but then again this was the only plane around....a big brute of a 777 (well it was big in my eyes as the biggest plane I have been on previously was a 737-800). Got on board and went to my seat 21A (my favourite seat, window seat right at the back heh heh). Seat 21A on a 777 is right in the middle of the wing and "there is no window at this seat"..."SH**".NO WAY! I pretended claustraphobia and managed to get a new window seat "right up the back". RESULT!Man that is a big beast! Just for those that don't know this must be one of the shortest journeys this beast has possibly done...only 1 hour flight time!Made my week! Cheers!

Guest zillmer

Ian,Lucky you, unusual to get a 777 in this route! However, the BA 777's regularly do short hops on the Caribbean flights. BA use Antigua as a kind of local hub, with aircraft inbound from the UK landing in Antigua, changing crew and then hopping over and back to amongst others, Grenada (at least until the hurricane), St Lucia and Tobago. The hop to St Lucia is no more than 40-45 minutes airborne time.Last year whilst on hols there I spoke to the captain on the leg to Grenada and he was telling me that they get rostered out there for a week at a time. So they crew a transatlantic to Antigua, get a days rest, spend 3/4 days flying the 777 'shuttle' to the islands (which gives them every morning free), get another free day and then fly a transatlantic leg back. This particular pilot took his wife with him each roster, so she got a week's free holiday! Nice work if you can get it!CheersSimon.