Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Hurricane Flying

Guest bobsk8

Well I decided to take the Level D 767 flying in the Hurricane in Florida today and I departed Sarasota at around 1330Z and headed for Miami Intl. I have been really enjoying handflying the 767, so I decided to handfly the entire trip using the F/D for guidance.I got on top of the clouds at around 12,000 on the climb out and was pretty much in the clear at my cruise of FL230 until the start of the descent around 70 miles west of MIA. As I got closer to Miami the winds and turbulence really started to pick up and I was being vectored by FS9 ATC ( nobody on Vatsim yet, because of the hour and a working day today) for ILS rwy 12, I descended into a solid overcast with the winds averaging around 50-60 MPH. The airspeed indicator was fluctuating 20-30 knots , up and down, and the autothrottle had the power going from flight idle to 95% trying to maintain the airspeed. I had to use quite a bit of elevator compensation to hold my assigned altitudes. Active Sky really added to the excitement with numerous up and downdrafts and turbulence. Finally I lined up on the ILS about 15 miles out and set my airspeed at Vref plus 20, to maintain a good safety margin considering the windgusts on the approach. Flaps to 25 and gear down, I came down the ILS and finally broke out at about 1,000 feet AGL and noticed that I was really crabbed to the right trying to stay aligned with the runway. I am looking out the left side of the window at the runway threshold, wondering if I have enough rudder to counter the crosswind component. 100-50-40, I start stepping on left rudder and I finally get the nose about 95% aligned with the runway centerline, with FULL LEFT RUDDER on my CH rudder pedals. I put the 767 down right on the centerline........... and taxied off the active....... :) :)What a Plane...............

What a pilot.......Consider yourself sacked for exceeding safety margins :-) You've got me all excited about FS again. Might have a go when I get home from work.Ian

Guest JIMJAM

Ive been flying the c-130 in south fla last night and this morning. Worst I landed in was in Palm Beach. Winds were around 30-40 degrees off the nose at 71. Earlier this summer I came across winds around 100. I had fun taking off vertically, backing up about 1/4 mile and landing back where I started.1

Guest JIMJAM

Now this was a first and coming from someone who was born in Key West REALLY STRANGE. While flying from Homestead, I noticed the islands were all white. Oh great, another graphics glitch,happens all the time. I requested and was denied landing at keyw. The REASON! The airport was currently IFR due to HEAVY SNOWS. HA........ Now thats some strange ASV weather for ya.

Guest bobsk8

>Now this was a first and coming from someone who was born in>Key West REALLY STRANGE. While flying from Homestead, I>noticed the islands were all white. Oh great, another graphics>glitch,happens all the time. I requested and was denied>landing at keyw. The REASON! The airport was currently IFR due>to HEAVY SNOWS. HA........ Now thats some strange ASV weather>for ya.I think later on in the day, all the weather reporting equipment in So Florida was off line, hence the weird weather report.