Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Scam Warning - Stock Fraud

Although this is off of my usual theme of aviation, many of us invest a portion of our savings in stock and even use the returns to help finance our hobby. The wires have been reporting an old scam has surfaced, where someone "appears" to have called your home by accident and leaves a message to the "wrong" number reciting the virtues of some obsure stock. The victims buy the stock, the price goes up, then the person behind the scam dumps his/her stock at the inflated price--and the victims get fleeced.I normally don't post about scam alerts--we're a pretty smart bunch here. But this is one of those scams that just about anyone can fall victim to if it's well orchestrated. Anyway, the government is warning NEVER to trust unsolicited stock tips...This same scam has been seen on the web, btw, in various forms (i.e. emails "unintentionally" CC'd to newsgroups) Back to flying :)-John

Guest Ken_Salter

You know, I think I may have received one of those calls. I had a voice mail at home from an unrecognized number where some woman left a message like that. Of course, I didn't call back...I use Vonage, so I have the phone number in my log on the web. Maybe I should look into it.