Sign in to follow this  
alexwaston

Confuse partitioning organization after fresh installing on new SSD

Today I've bought myself an SSD, to speed up things... 001.png
D:\ (Disk 1) is the Hard Disk (500GB), C:\ (Disk 0) is the Solid State Drive (120GB)
(Both GPT/UEFI)

Well, I decided to clean install Windows 10 on it, but the partitions look very odd.

Screenshot of Diskmgmt
102688d1474592123t-confuse-partitioning-

Screenshot of BCEDIT
102689d1474592196t-confuse-partitioning-

Relax: adventure movie | fantasy movie | romance movie

I don't know if I'm safe to wipe the Disk 1 completely, or rearrange my files on it so I can use it as a data drive only...
I fear that it might crash my whole installation. 009.png
I'm also totally lost on what Windows has done. lol

EDIT: I've had a previous installation on the Hard Disk (Disk 1\D:\)

Hi Alex,

Yes, even if it is looking confusing it seems about right. Windows 10 is installing a recovery partition next to the GPT partition. The fact that you had installed Win10 on disk 1 previously explains why you see more than one Recovery Partition.

There is an easy thing to do to check if you can wipe Disk 1 and use it as a data disk: Power down your computer, pull the power cable or turn off your power supply - whatever applies in your case. Then disconnect Disk 1 from your motherboard. Re-power your PC and boot it up. If you can boot into your new Windows 10 install, all should be fine and disk 1 will not be needed for Windows. You may want to check the Disk Management again just to see how things look like with Windows on one disk (SSD in your case) in the system.

Then you can power down again, reconnect disk 1 and format it next time you boot into Windows.

Best Regards

Frank