Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

The last word?

"Because they're a bunch of immature whiners who won't stop at anything until PSS is destroyed.They've been at it for years. In the beginning I thought it was jealousy at their success, later I started to see patterns hinting at competitors wanting to get rid of a major competitor.Now, I don't know anymore. It looks ever more to be indeed just a bunch of jealous kids combined with the entire community of software pirates in the FS community."This comment was made by a forum member. Rather than delete the comment (as Avsim used to do), the thread in question was simply locked and this statement was allowed to stand.I won't mention who posted it--users can look up the post. But I want to reiterate something--GET IT CLEAR EVERYONE THAT PEOPLE DISPUTING RECENT ACTIONS ARE NOT CONDONING PIRACY! Comments like the one above are a slander against our community. My case in point--I am neither a kid nor have I ever made comment about PSS prior to this. These comments were another attempt to morph the issue into something else, so the people involved could avoid responsibility. I've been involved in the selling of software for years, from design to behind the scenes WAN support. We are in the same boat--we can't take pirates to court--it's a very expensive process even if you can get the case opened on contingency. But we have an annual lock/key mechanism in our software. In addition, were we ever to go our of business we have a "master key" that will disable the annual verification, since that's a major concern for our consumers. There are solutions. And I find it ironic that the same people name-calling are usually absent when it's revealed that our own work in the freeware community is pirated on certain websites, CD's, or put up for auction.How about we talk about better solutions than inciting against alleged pirates? FSD has a great system--complain about it if you want, but it offers them the security needed and in turn keeps costs down for the end user by limiting piracy. Why can't PSS adopt the same system?Did anyone ever consider the risk to the family of the person accused of piracy? By inciting our community to action, doesn't it open up every nut case for their chance at retribution? I think it does.Anyway, back to my point--Avsim used to let discussions flourish by deleting the posts that insulted our community, vs. just letting the threads get locked. Let's start talking about solutions. And for the last time, will certain members here learn to post on content, rather than insult the community members? Trash my opinion all you want. But don't attack me.-John

Guest ba747heavy

I can address why the post was locked as opposed to deleted, as I was the one that elected to lock it. I thought that deleting the post would be a bit harsh, as with the exception of the person you quoted the discussion was legitimate and even interesting. The idea, for me anyway, is not to censure any thoughts, but rather stop a situation that is in odds to the terms of use that were agreed to when we joined the forums. Locking a thread meets that goal. The only posts I delete are those that are really bad.Not sure if my logic is really logic, but it made sense to me. Hope it makes sense to you!As to the rest of your post, I can't say I disgree with any of it.

Thanks for explaining--feel free to lock this thread then. No need into letting it spiral out of control.. I think everyone's had their say.Regards,John