Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Out of control on final!!!

On final approach to landing, the aircraft suddenly violently pitches up and goes into a severe uncontrolled condition. Recovery by manual flight is possible. Note that THIS IS NOT a conventional stall. Everything is 100% stable with plenty of airspeed, smooth weather, and nothing present that would logically induce the action. Yes, pitot heat is on, but the action is much more violent than that ommission normally causes. It is a snap action somewhat like the calisthenics a bird goes through on the ground when contact points are way out of whack.Some time ago, I made a similar post regarding this issue and a few others confirmed that they had seen the same thing happen without finding a solution. Conclusion at the time was to just hope that it went away, which it has for a matter of weeks or probably months now. Unfortunately it has reappeared.This has happened a number of times in different aircraft, old and new, payware and freeware, different airports, different weather conditions, different airspeeds etc. etc. The only common ground is that it is always on final approach to landing. I am not absolutely sure, but I think it has happened at least once on manual approach, however the norm has been under autopilot control. I have been unable to isolate any other factor except that it always happens on final approach. No indication of pilot error, aircraft malfunction, or anything else. Stable as a rock and suddenly at what seems like 10,000 knots the aircraft snaps up and goes completely out of control. TCAS did not acknowledge mid-air contact, but it would fit.The last occurance which is representative of all was as follows:Location: KBTRGlideslope approach Rwy 136 1/2 DME perfectly on glideslope120 knots steadyDefault weather with clear skys and no questionable conditionsAeroworx B-200 KingAirFlightplan was from KBTR at FL240I reinitiated the approach out of "autosave" at about 20 DME without touching anything to replay the exact conditions. Same thing happened again but at this time about 3 1/2 miles DME. Reintitiated the flight again in the same way (20DME). Perfect approach with no problem at all.This recently also happened with my new PSS 777 at KSFOAlso with my recently purchased Dreamfleet Baron at a forgotten airport. These are always random conditions and I have not been successful in duplicating them.The previous occurances were before I purchased these aircraft with various others at various locations. It may happen on the next flight, or as stated above it may not happen for months.Has anyone that has had this happen found a solution?Thanks:RTH1585368CFI

Guest SJDickson

Are you running ActiveSky V? If so, have you tried disabling the wake turbulence and vertical air simulation options?

Guest smoys

>TCAS did not acknowledge mid-air contact, but it would fit.That seems to be a good guess as to the problem. I have only had this happen twice and both times it was because I was struck from behind by an AI a/c.Mike

Thanks for the replies:S.J.No, I am not running active sky, so that must not be the problem. I do normally run FSMETEO, but for some of the flights as I mentioned, I have had MSFS9 default clear skys. I will watch more closely and see if I can be sure there is not some realationship there.Mike, I will start cranking up my radar window and see what is around me. I do use AISmooth most of the time, but that may not be sufficient.Thanks again for the help.RTH

I have no experience with FSMeteo, but you can also try to "smooth weather changes" in FSUIPC.