Sign in to follow this  
Guest sb55mv

Autoland Gauge.

Guest sb55mv

Hi.I was wondering if anyone has tried that Auto land Gauge yet that I saw on the main page of Avsim.let us know what it's like to use, and how it performs please.thanks,

Guest ozpilot

I'd also be interested to hear people's opinions

Hello Steve:I have had the older "Autoland 2004" by John Cillis for some time. I don't know whether this is connected in any way at all with the new autoland_v1 by Nick Pike and Martyn Becker to which I assume you refer or not. In any case with the older version, it worked well for me some of the time, poorly at others, and not at all for some. I really did not give it a fair trial though as my home airport (KlWB) has an offset approach which makes autoland useless.I just installed and cranked up the new version to which you refer on an old favorite I have not flown for some time. An old freeware Boeing 717 version with a modified Tony Ambrisio panel which used to be my default aircraft (Still love that panel and bird). I flew from the default KSEA Rwy 34R and did a circuit. I was not sure exactly what the program controlled, so I activated autoland about 20 miles out on final, locked on to the localizer on autopilot. Autoland immediately increased my airspeed from my setting of 160 to 190K, and started to climb to a new setting of 3,900' from my setting of 3,400'. As the plane approached, it reduced airspeed and altitude progressively to 170K @ 3,800'until the glideslope was intercepted. At that point it reduced the airspeed setting to 145K (Program setting for the "large" bmp). She then followed the glideslope at this speed until flare. Flare, throttle reduction, brakes, and reverse trust reacted perfectly straight down the center line until a complete stop less than half way down the runway. On several payware aircraft which include autoland, reverse thrust is not implemented, so this even takes care of that for you.I would not be surprised that there may be a plane or two that this will not work on and I suspect that the problem is in the aircraft modeling, not autoland. However, on my first shot with a pretty run of the mill selection it is a flawless dandy addon if you want to occasionally just ride instead of fly the thing on final. (I love to do both!)Hope this helped, and I would recommend it. Give it a try. It will cost you nothing and you can always trash it if it is not your thing.Happy flying:RTH1585368CFI