Sign in to follow this  
LevelMind

ATC clearance - visual approach

At an airport such as LGSM (Samos) there is a VOR and NDB approach heading straight towards the runway, which means that the last part is flown manually, so that you align with the runway.

So, I'd assume ATC clears you for the VOR (or NDB) approach, but since they've cleared you for a VOR approach, are you still allowed to start flying the visual bit of the approach, or do you need to recive another clearance stating that you are cleared to start flying visually?

At an airport such as LGSM (Samos) there is a VOR and NDB approach heading straight towards the runway, which means that the last part is flown manually, so that you align with the runway.

So, I'd assume ATC clears you for the VOR (or NDB) approach, but since they've cleared you for a VOR approach, are you still allowed to start flying the visual bit of the approach, or do you need to recive another clearance stating that you are cleared to start flying visually?

If you request or you are cleared an instrument approach, you can fly visually as soon as you have the runway as long as you adhere to altitude restrictions/minimums and circling criteria. You don't want to go visual and start descending into terrain or restricted airspace until the appropriate time. For example, i'm cleared the full VOR approach that starts with a hold or procedure turn. I see the runway inbound to the IAF. I won't start diving for the runway because I'm visual. I will fly the procedure and meet my step down fixes. Once I hit the MDA or VDP, I will start maneuvering visually or start the circle if that's what i was doing. Atleast I know i'm safe that way. Some places have a minimum altitude warning and the controller will query you if he gets concerned. Some times you see this when shooting an ILS using localizer procedures. He/she clears you the ILS, but you fly the LOC mins. He/she expects you are flying the GS and gets concerned because you are lower than he/she expects.

• Upvote 1