Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Launching Prepar3D from .fxml files (Saved Scenarios) In Documents Prepar3D V3 and V2 Installed

This Tutorial will only be relevant to the following people 

People who have Prepar3D V3 and V2 currently Installed who Launch Prepar3D from there .fxml file (Saved Scenario) in Documents

Following on from a Question on the Prepar3D Forums where a User had Prepar3D V2 and V3 Installed,  this was his situation...........

He would save a Scenario in Prepar3D V3 but when trying to Launch his V3 saved Scenario In Documents the .fxml file (Saved Scenario) would only Launch in Prepar3D V2 

Usually in this Situation you would Right Click on the Scenario, Click Properties In --Opens with-- You would click change and Navigate to your Prepar3D.exe and Click Ok.  With V2 and V3 Installed together it doesn't seem to Differentiate between the different locations paths of the Prepar3D.exe 

Of course you can change this Manually in the Register Editor by Navigating To:  HKEY-CLASSES_ROOT \ Applications \ Prepar3D.exe \ shell \ open \ command  Right Click on Default , Click Modify and changing the Path to suit Prepar3D V3 But its a bit of a rough fix

==============================

-----
Introduction
----

A Tutorial to add the 2 Options, in this case  (Prepar3D V2 and Prepar3D V3) into your Windows Explorer Content Menu

As you can see from the Image i have bi-passed the Opens With options in Properties.  I can now Right Click on any v2\v3 .fxml file (Saved Scenario) and choose to open in Prepar3D V3 Or V2 

To do this, I have added 2 Keys and 2 sub-keys in my Register editor and have given these 2 sub-keys a Path to my different Prepar3D locations (V2 and V3) 

31299296705_848576d074_o.png

==========================================
==========================================

I will go through it Step by Step to set up V2 in the Register editor,  Just follow the exact same steps to set up V3, but change the Path= of course

Open your Register editor (with Admin privileges) 

Navigate To: HKEY-CLASSES_ROOT  \ *  \  Click the little arrow beside  to Enter

Right Click on shell  Click New,  Click Key,  Call this Key Prepar3D v2  (You can call this key whatever you wish But this is what you will see when you right Click on your Saved Scenario)   This Key will remain Empty  (No Path) 

30931114660_f948b9c872_o.png

Right Click on your new Key Prepar3D v2,  Click New, Click Key  Call this sub-key  command  (Not Optional) 

31262740446_033d36265f_o.png

==========================

Click on command to highlight it,  Right Click on Default,  Click Modify 

Enter Your Prepar3D V2 Path to Prepar3D.exe  into Value data  Make sure you add this Placeholder to the end of your Path  "%1"  This will allow Prepar3D to Enter the Content of the Saved Scenario file and Launch with this file Information.  Without this Prepar3D will start as Normal (Default splash screen) 

Please Note:  Notice the -space- between the .exe. and the "%1"  (You need this space) 

You can use this as a Template,  Change the Path to suit Your Prepar3D location in both cases
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe "%1"

31155015862_493ddccaf8_o.png

Follow the exact same Procedure to set up your Prepar3D V3 Path

Prepar3D V2 

31156143742_ff61cee55b_o.png

Prepar3D V3 

30492357793_1c4e740593_o.png

X out of your Register editor,  Launch Prepar3D and test  
  • Upvote 1