Sign in to follow this  
someone

Returning to FS after a long time, what do I need?

I just built a new computer and I'm ready to get back in to flight sim. The only things I have backed up are my payware aircraft.I'll be starting from scratch, so besides reinstalling FS9 and patching it, what cloud textures, water textures and other enchancements are popular now.

Your answers depend on who you ask :)Please feel free to try out my "Soft Horizons" environment update here in the library. It's a low bandwidth replacement set of bitmaps that make the horizon (IMHO) appear more natural. That's not to say there aren't a number of sets that are also nice, but mine is a quick install for a change of MSFS's "look".Also, take a look at this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=288724&page=It's a great tool, and is now as much a part of my FS2004 as is the weather in my opinion.I don't hear it mentioned as much these days, but the payware add-on USA roads is one of those must haves if you have the bandwidth to download the package.The Freeflow Florida scenery is as good as it gets.Aircraft add-ons are too numerous to mention. One of the best is a recent freeware release and is nearing another update--the recent TBM-700. Also, Bill Lyons has made a number of his aircraft available as freeware. I can't get enough of his Luscombe and Challenger!I'll let the AI folks and scenery folks chime in with suggestions of their own. I'll warn you this may end up a very long thread!!!! -John

Highly (and almost unanimously) recommended are:- Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada- Flight Environment (water, textures, clouds)- Active Sky Enhanced (weather)- FScene or BirdsEyeView (default texture replacement and autogen)Good luck.

Guest Pyjamas

I don't have a windows computer at the moment so I won't be using Flight sim for a while. (D'oh)I've made a list of all the stuff I'd consider necessary to install, if/when i get back to it. Obviously, some of it might not suit you but If i had a nice system with this all set up, I'd be pretty much set for a few months.Level D Sim 767Aeroworx X-treme King Air B200Flight 1 Flight EnvironmentsFlight 1 Ulitmate Traffic (or simliar)Voice Edit for all ATC AirlinesFS Navigator (Latest version)FS Real TimeActive Sky v5Active Camera (2.1 I think - http://www.anticyclone.be/)*John Dees post - Realistic Ground friction on Avsim forumsContrail editFSUIPCDM Vickers VC-10 (http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/)Anything by RealairFly Tampas KSEA sceneryI'd also say the recent Dreamfleet ... fleet. I haven't had a chance to try any of them out but I have no doubt they're up to par with the other high quality payware that's available.Nice stuff.

I should have mentioned that I need to stick with freeware right now since I just dropped quite a load of cash on the new computer. I saw a video of FS9 with the 6-DOF TrackIR and I'm probably going to pick it up. I've got plenty of payware aircraft already, but I do plan to purchase the DF Baron.If I remember, I had FS Sky World installed for clouds, but I can't remember what else. I know I had some replacement ground, runway, taxiway, water, night textures etc. I wish I had kept a backup.