Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

System upgrade from GTX670 2GB to 1070 8GB brought

Guest Mik75

an immense gain in performance in both of my main sims, which are P3D 3.3 and X-Plane 10.

My system:

i5 3570k @ 4,2 GHz

16 GB CL9 RAM

all SSD

Win 7 64 bit

The performance gain, fps wise, in P3D is not as huge as it is in XPX, but 5-10 fps more in the VC of the a/c I've tested so far, and a super stable frame rate, even in dense clouds, is something that makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. The TFDi 717 is now flyable, with 30-35 fps in the VC on the ground! All displays are much clearer now, and the AA got a lot better as well (with the same settings).

And XPX feels like being on turbo now!!! 60-80 fps in flight in an outside view is just super butter smooth! Wow!

So far I haven't had a drop below 30 during my tests (with the same settings, using ortho photo scenery)

And according to AIDA, the GPU usage is at around 40-70%, and VRAM usage maxed out at 60% in XPX!

Both figures were constantly at 99% with my old 670! ;-)

It's not an inexpensive upgrade, but worth every cent, even with my older CPU!

The performance gain, fps wise, in P3D is not as huge as it is in XPX, but 5-10 fps more in the VC of the a/c I've tested so far, and a super stable frame rate, even in dense clouds, is something that makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

Yeah, had similar results when I upgraded my GTX680 to a 1070 last summer. As I'm running a 3 x LG27" setup (5760x1080) with lots of ORBX, payware airports,  the 680 was always at the limit and unable to run HDR or volumetric clouds.

All settings, while by no means maxed out, have gone up a notch, which is nice. Now, FPS 22-30 (fixed 31) but always smooth, even with dense clouds. Will keep me going until a new pc build later this year.

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |