Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

FS2004 or X-Plane? Or both?

>Please explain....>>I get more sim time with the RealAir SF260 than anything else.>I've also flown the real Marchetti SF260. I just happen to>like sliding canopy's and good simulated aerobatic flight>dynamics. I don't have a clue of what you're trying to>explain.In some occasions, trying fancy maneuvers (but heavily out of normal flight envelope), the a/c's behaved strangely, for example doing sudden swerves and zigzags, or doing steady climbs with no engine. IMO, it's solely due to the fact that FS9 flight model works at a (quite) low frequency. I hope they double FM frequency for FSX. :DRegarding spins, I noticed there are still a lot of X-Plane a/c's that don't spin properly (where they should, e.g. Extra300, etc.). Maybe they simply need re-tuning, or maybe X-Plane FM still has lacks in the area. Spin dynamics changed very often in the latest versions.As a side note, I tried a spectacular maneuver with that Extra300: a vertical roll, turning with no solution of continuity into a "backward" roll (with the plane descending and rolling in the same direction) after ailerons have been reverted. I don't remember the name of the maneuver. Neat to see though! :D>And if you do happen to fly the RealAir SF260 or Spitfire, it>would put an end to claims, that X-Plane always has more fluid>gauges. :( Eheh, agree. In a recent post I said the only FS9 gauges in par with X-Plane are RealAir ones. I hope in FSX they'll improve gauge smoothness as well. :)Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Guest Adverse Yawn

I tend to agree. Try a knife edge spin in FS and occasionally the things just go haywire with the a/c being launched sideways and sometime up (with an idling engine) in the most inexplicable of ways. However, I agree with Larry to, certainly in 8.15 trying extreme crossed control manouevre highlights how bad the rudder authority seems to be in X-plane, as can also be seen in trying to take-off in a taildragger with a 10kt crosswind. X-plane looks promising, but there are still quite a few funnies in there, not specific to the FM either.Generally, I find both sim have big drawbacks for different reasons :(

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks Marco. I appreciate that advice.Incidentally when seeking an answer to the pros and cons of FS9 compared to X-Plane I never thought I'd find a summary as telling as "I play with Microsoft Flight Simulator, I fly with X-Plane"It says it all.............Regards,Cliff

>Thanks Marco. I appreciate that advice.>>Incidentally when seeking an answer to the pros and cons of>FS9 compared to X-Plane I never thought I'd find a summary as>telling as "I play with Microsoft Flight Simulator, I fly with>X-Plane">>It says it all.............LOL, no please, don't wanna start a flame here on a MSFS forum. :) Mine is just a little provocative signature.Don't forget that a lot of RL pilots prefer MSFS to X-Plane. And the overall flying experience MSFS+ADDONS can give (scenery, ATC, etc.) is currently not attainable on any other home simulator.X-Plane has just some advantages on smoothness, weather effects modeling, and specific aspects of flight model (copters is an example). If you can appreciate those aspects (most people do not) then you'll enjoy it.Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".