Sign in to follow this  
dongdongliushui

What does "use High-Resolution terrain textures" affect?

3 hours ago, Denco said:

Between the two, which one do you personally recommend?

I ALWAYS recommend using options on the options screens over editing configs. I don't have any (manual) edit in my P3D cfg's.

EDIT: In case you meant if I would recommend 9 or 10: I don't use the option at all. I can hardly see the difference. 10 isn't worth the extra loading time imho and 9 isn't worth it either because I can only (and hardly) see the difference when I closely compare screenshots or use a very high zoom. But I have a 1080 monitor: maybe the difference is more obvious at 4K.

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

Feature off = 256x256 ground texture

Feature on = 1024x1024 ground texturen

Grond texture size in FSX : 1024x1024

Ground texture size in Fs2004 : 256x256

I was stunned to read from LM that P3Dv4  uses a lower ground texture resolution by default than FSX.  Surely to improve the framerate ..

If you check this feature than P3Dv4 performs less ( depending on your system ) and it might be even less than FSX ( SE ) ...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126479

I am getting more and more confused. What does ground texture size have to do with LOD_RADIUS?

Ground Texture size = amount of pixels of the texture ( sharpness )

LOD radius = determines the size of the coverage area to be refreshed around the aircraft. A higher value = wider & clearer coverage

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

Ground Texture size = amount of pixels of the texture ( sharpness )

LOD radius = determines the size of the coverage area to be refreshed around the aircraft. A higher value = wider & clearer coverage

So how can the increase of ground texture size increase LOD radius? It seems the opposite.

7 hours ago, dongdongliushui said:

So how can the increase of ground texture size increase LOD radius? It seems the opposite.

The LOD radius is a ring around your aircraft. Inside that ring it shows the highest ground texture size you have set , normally 256x256. Outside this ring all other ground textures are shown at a way lower resolution.

If you increase the LOD radius you increase the ring around the aircraft.

The ground texture size shows the sharpness of the ground texture inside the ring ..

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

The LOD radius is a ring around your aircraft. Inside that ring it shows the highest ground texture size you have set , normally 256x256. Outside this ring all other ground textures are shown at a way lower resolution.

If you increase the LOD radius you increase the ring around the aircraft.

The ground texture size shows the sharpness of the ground texture inside the ring ..

Thanks! I am getting it.

I just tried the same scene in FSX using LOD_RADIUS=10. Everything is crystal clear, far and near. There is no sudden pop up of clear texture or more accurate DEM. Amazing! I just don't understand why P3D is not as good as the old FSX as regards ground texture.