Sign in to follow this  
CathyH

Climb Power

Does the Captain set climb power, or METO, or will the FE do it automatically?

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It depends on your usage of the AFE, so both are possible.  If you elect to use the AFE, it will set takeoff power, and cycle all the way through the power schedule to climb power based on indicated airspeed.  So if you use the AFE for TAKEOFF (wet) or (dry) the first call for power will be 30in and stabilize, then full power.  Once airborne a call for gear up will be made after a positive rate, then flaps up and METO power reduction based on IAS.  So it is important to stay in front of the airplane and use trim and control inputs to keep the airplane climbing but accelerating to climb speed as well.  In the introduction documentation it contains a list of all of the AFE functions broken down by the phase of flight and your selection.  I strongly suggest giving that a quick glance if you haven't done so already as it contains some very useful information and tips.

Based on personal experience, I suggest using the AFE at first.  If you wish to change power settings during cruise, you can then disable the AFE and resume later for descent and so on.  I found that once I logged more time I was able to take over more and more AFE functions myself but still use it occasionally if I am feeling lazy.  Hope this helps.

Chris Hurn 

Yes, it helps a lot, thanks. I will try it tomorrow, I had to have a tooth out yesterday and am on heavy painkillers, and sedatives, so not firing on all  thrusters at present