Sign in to follow this  
neilhewitt

Sync traffic across multiple machines

Hi.

Apologies if this has already been covered - the main thread from before the sub-forum is 69 pages long and I haven't got time to read all of it in one go!

I run a multi-machine setup using WidevieW to sync the visuals, and I've also got Widetraffic, but I'm having major problems with it since the move to 64 bits and right now, it's just not working. I've been using UTLive as a traffic source on the server machine. This hits the frame rate a little, but I've got it tuned reasonably well even for heavy airports like EGLL.

I'm interested in PSXseecon as an alternative, especially given the lower impact on frames, but I need the AI traffic to be synchronised across server and client machines. I know that you can run RealTraffic and PSXseecon itself on a separate machine and target a simulator instance over the network using SimConnect, but can you target more than one instance at the same time - in other words, broadcast the traffic to multiple simulators at the same time?

Failing that, if I were to run a copy of RealTraffic + PSXseecon on each machine, given that the real-time traffic data will be the same on all of them, and provided I've got the aircraft and airports set up properly etc, will all of the simulators display the same traffic in the same positions with low enough latency to be practically synchronised?

NH

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

1 hour ago, neilhewitt said:

A) ...but can you target more than one instance at the same time - in other words, broadcast the traffic to multiple simulators at the same time?

B) .. were to run a copy of RealTraffic + PSXseecon on each machine, given that the real-time traffic data will be the same on all of them, and provided I've got the aircraft and airports set up properly etc, will all of the simulators display the same traffic in the same positions with low enough latency to be practically synchronised?

ad A) No

ad B) I'm not sure if the RealTraffic license allows you to run RealTraffic at different machines at the same time (you should check that first,it is not my program). If it does the AI aircraft injected by PSXseeconTraffic should be in theory the same and at the same place in both versions, while they are based on data arriving at the same time in both Realtraffic programs, assuming that you have installed exactly the same AI liveries in both versions. Whether that would result in what you call "with low enough latency to be practically synchronised" i cannot tell. You should give that a try yourself.

Nico

OK, thanks Nico. I've downloaded RealTraffic and PSXseecon and I'll install on both machines and see what happens!

NH

Hi.

Just wanted everyone to know that this works really well! I've got RealTraffic on both machines set up identically, PSXseecon traffic on both machines also set up identically, and have the same parked folder and liveries file on both. Traffic is synchronised perfectly - allowing for some lag in the RealTraffic data which means aircraft don't move absolutely smoothly (but pretty good nonetheless). I'm getting different liveries for the same aircraft on the two different machines, but the aircraft are the right types and so it's obviously just a config issue somewhere.

And the performance is stunning, coming from Ultimate Traffic Live!

Really happy - the immersion is back when operating from big airports like Heathrow. 

NH

4 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

I'm getting different liveries for the same aircraft on the two different machines, but the aircraft are the right types and so it's obviously just a config issue somewhere.

That's just a matter of what AI liveries you install. If you install just one livery of each Airline/Type combi, it will not happen.

Or, but that's a lot more work: Add the registration codes to your liveries. If a livery is matched upon registration code you can have several liveries for an airline/type combi but still see the same livery at both machines. This is also the way to go to see Cargo liveries.

Note that I have 4719 liveries installed with 17482 registration codes ... 

That's a lot :-)

Yeah, I figured it was that. By default I have a lot of liveries for each aircraft type, because I have Ultimate Traffic Live installed so I'm getting all its liveries from all its aircraft models. It's actually not super-important because one of the machines is a WidevieW host and  usually only shows instrument panel views, nothing exterior. But I'll look at adding the registration codes at some point.

I'm just sitting here now with my sim turned to the tower view and watching the traffic come and go at London Heathrow. It's quite relaxing :-)

NH