Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

My College Dorm Flight Simulator Setup!

In my latest upload, I share with you my simple but functional college dorm flight sim setup. Hopefully this can give some ideas to some of you who might be going in dorms and want to bring your setup along with you. For others, well, it can always be interesting!

• Upvote 1

This is a cool setup, a monster system compared to mine but I do alright.  I have an MSI Vortex and just a single screen.  My computer is small, a desktop with the dimensions of a laptop, I believe they used a micro ATX card for the mainboard.  It runs fairly cool and you cannot hear the fans, as opposed to my old system which sounded like a schoolbus.  I only run at 3.6 GHZ but it gives me a very smooth simming experience, in addition to the vid card I have.

Not as good as yours, you can probably handle heavy iron where I probably cannot.  I normally just fly GA, props, light tprops, and small jets.  I fly both Xplane11 and P3dv4, in Xplane11 I've spun some photoreal scenery for California, Nevada, and Arizona.  In P3d I have photoreal scenery which extends from roughly Colorado to the West Coast. 

It will take a new sim or new generation of computers to change what we have today.  5GHZ seems to be a barrier that can't be crossed.  Yet with photoreal scenery, there's only a few things that can be added to the sims.  Particle driven clouds, which has been done before, better ground handling, better ATC, more dynamic.  And improved AI, that's about it.

The main thing these sims need is fast data access for loading textures.  Hopefully that will improve over time, there's new technology on the horizon.

John