Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Cooper

ACARS decoding

HeyWould someone please explain to me how to decode ACARS messages? I have a RadioShack Pro-95 scanner and a male to male cable for connecting my scanner to my computer. When I have my scanner tuned into 131.55 everyonce and a while I will hear a screeching sound, I'm assuming this is the ACARS message, btw I have my squelch turned all the way down. Now with my scanner hooked up to my PC via the Line In port I try to use one of the free ACARS decoding systems (WACARS 0.7) but I either get one or two messages every half hour that are just plain junk, symbols and stuff like @&)$#%)(*, or I dont get any messages at all. Would someone please tell me step by step how to use one of the free ACARS decoding systems. Thank you in advance.Austin M

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi AustinI used to use ACARS but it can be a problem in built up areas due the affect large buildings have on the radio frequency, you know line of sight and all that.Try JACARS, it's easier to use (and free). All you need is up-to-date JAVA and a decent internet connection and you can see live ACARS reports fom all over the globe on your desk-top.http://leclair.homedns.org/jacars/