Sign in to follow this  
VaporizedSteel

Saitek X52 in FSX?

Playing FSX:SE on Windows 10 using the Saitek X52.

A few problems arise that I would normally expect to patch by adjusting the 'control' settings, but I have some difficulty. 
First of all, the null zone. This is a slider in the FSX settings > controls > calibration (tab) > advanced controls.

There are several sliders including one that sets the null zone for different control surfaces and engine throttle. It's supposed to be slided within a range of 0-100 percent. Set at 10 percent for example and the throttle would have to be moved to 10% for positive throttle. Below it would normally engage thrust reversing.

However, this doesn't really seem to work with my Saitek X52. 

There is a bug. besides the ones in my garden that is.

The null zone slider does nothing for me for some ludicrous reason. Adding to that is that the physical null state of my throttle lever is not actually 0% throttle. More like 1-3%. This means that craft with a lot of thrust to weight (like the F18) will roll on the lowest throttle levels with my Saitek X52. Using the Keyboard F1 (default) for zero throttle is the only way to actually cut the throttle and stop any rolling.

Now, the null zone slider for throttle should workaround this problem. But like I said, changing that setting does absolutely nothing.  

Same goes for the null zone parameters of aileron, elevator and rudder.

Yes, mysteriously so.

Weirder actually.

The X52 joystick has to be moved about 10degrees in x and/or y for the pitch, roll and yaw to have any effect. 
This is very annoying on high maneuverable aircraft, unlike a 737 or 747 for that matter, FYI the only aircraft I used this controller with, which is why I come here complaining now as I tried using it with i.e. the F18 as I've never tried this before.
Basically I have to move the joystick several degrees before I get a pitch, roll or yaw moment.
Again, this is something I'd expect those sliders to adjust, but that doesn't happen *aheum* work.
This means I have to move the joystick several inches from back and forth just to change controls from pitch up to pitch down. 
The end result in actual practice is that I have to be sculling the joystick left/right - fwt/aft to change from one axis of control to the other.

This is problematic in aircraft with high maneuverable control. And seeing how bad those sensitivity controls are set at I'm quite impressed how I managed to fly my 747 with it so far.

What do I need to know and do right, please tell me?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Regarding the joystick:

i have an x52 pro and it works pretty well for me. First off, set the null zones to zero. I set my sensitivity to full, but that's personal preference. 

Second, do the magnet mod. There's a ton of YouTube vids and forum links on how to do it. No surgery required, its super easy. Open the bottom cover and literally just snap additional 10mm magnets onto the existing magnets for the Hall sensors. It improves response and precision immensely. 

The one other thing I did to mine- there was a little play in the pitch axis. There was a little physical space between the metal joystick tube and the oval slot in the plastic pitch rocker. All I did was wrap two layers of regular 3M satin tape around the stick tube, and that took up the slack. if you open the bottom of the joystick, you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Regarding the throttle, I've never set it up for reversing, so I'm not 100% sure. The null zone in the fsx setting is basically just a small dead zone, I'm guessing to make up for slack or play in a control, or maybe a dirty potentiometer that gives erratic readings. I don't believe you can use that null zone for a reverser. 

I do believe that you can use FSUIPC to set zones in the throttle to do such a thing. Again, I've never actually done this. But in the FSUIPC axis calibration menu, you can set the range of the throttle, so basically have it set to zero when the x52 throttle is above the lower detent, then assign the area below the detent to thrust reversing.