Sign in to follow this  
GW195

Thrustmaster TFRP Issue

Glad to join the community! I have only started using a flight simulator this year, so my question may seem a little naiive. But here goes..... Just wondering if others have seen this issue, and any advice that could be offered.

I have the T.Flight Hotas 4 Joystick which I have been using on FSX (Steam Edition) on Windows 10.  I just purchased the TFRP Rudder Pedals, which I have plugged into the joystick with the RJ12 connector, as directed in the manual. When using FSX, the rudder pedals work fine and actuate the rudder on the aircraft properly, but I do not get toe brakes to do anything on either pedal. The switch on the front of the joystick continues to operate the brakes, however. I tried it on both the Cessna 172 Skyhawk and the Mooney Bravo. I looked through the settings in FSX, but couldn't see anything that would activate the toe brakes. Any suggestions?

Welcome aboard!:biggrin:  By doing a Google search, I found some interesting videos and/or explanations about setting up the rudder pedals for proper braking.  I've included one.  He's setting up Saitek pedals but should be similar to yours.

Edited by Jim Young
Embedded link

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the quick response, Charliearon. Because the pedals are plugged into the joystick, you don't actually see the pedals come up in the device list in FSX settings (as they did in the video). You see the joystick as the device instead, so the available controls/checkboxes aren't there. Perhaps I should try the USB direct connection instead of through the joystick. I have an enquiry in with Thrustmaster, so I'll see what they say before doing so.

That would be the best, checking in with Thrustmaster, that is!  Be sure to come back by here and let us know the outcome.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thrustmaster got back to me, and suggested I download the T.Flight Hotas 4 driver package (which was already installed before I got the TFRP pedals anyway). I went into the Control Panel, and, sure enough, both toe brakes showed as active when I pushed them. However, still no luck getting them to do anything in FSX.

Then I decided to download the TFRP driver package and attached the pedals through the USB adapter to the PC directly instead of the RJ12 port on the joystick. Again, the Control Panel showed the toe brakes as active, but when I tried the pedals in FSX, they were now controlling the yoke! After that, I re-connected the pedals to the joystick. While they still don’t control the brakes, at least I can control the rudder with them again.

I am coming to the conclusion that this hardware combination does not work with FSX. Thrustmaster more or less confirmed that, because they listed the software that this combination does generally work with, and FSX wasn’t among them. They stopped short of saying for sure it doesn’t work with FSX, however.

I’m not interested in gaming per se, and simply want to use a realistic flight sim. The software packages they listed all seem to be games. Has anyone run across this situation, or know of flight sim software that works completely (ie. with toe brakes) with the TFRP plugged directly into the T.Flight Hotas 4 joystick?

They work together just fine, but its better to go via the USB, Then you need to  calibrate your toe brakes using the T.RJ12 USB TFRP Calibration software. It's junk but proprietary to Thrustmaster®, but it does set up the ranges for toe brake axes.