Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Multiple folder icon-changes possible in XP?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello friends http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pmimioja.gifSeeking the knowledge of Avsims Windows XP gurus.My FS9Aircraft folder has become massive with all the addon planes I have got...and the panels...and the sounds!To make navigation easier I want to change the icons of the folders according to aircraft type etc. For example all Boeing airplanes, panels & sounds will have the same icons.But...there are so many folders in there. Doing it the traditional way - (Rightclick-->Properties-->Customise-->Change Icon) - will take forever.Is there a way to select multiple folders and change their icons simultaneously?Thank you :)

Guest Philip Olson

Yes, you can do this! In Windows Explorer click on the aircraft folder so your various planes folders are displayed in the right side window, then simply highlight (select) the first folder and then hold down the ctrl key while you select the other folders you want to change. Once you have selected all of the one's you want simply right click on one of them and change the icon in the traditional way, when you are done they will all be changed. See how easy that was. :-) Oh, if you are going to select many that are grouped together you can use the shift key instead of ctrl, with shift you only have to select the first and last file and all of the one's in between will be selected for you. Remember shift is to select everything in a range and ctrl is for selecting individual files. Any questions just yell and I'll be happy to help. Hope this helps!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest ThrottleUp

Philip - Ahhh that was such great-sounding advice that you gave me that I feel bad for saying this now!!:It did not work :(But it was a great suggestion because the same process is used to rename multiple folders if I recall correctly. I wish it would work! Silly XP!Thanx for the input!BTW does it work for you??? If it does then Im doing something wrong!:)

Guest Philip Olson

You are right, it does not work, but it should, or at least I would think it should. Well I am sorry that I got your hopes up, I made an assumption. I have never tried to do that but logically it seemed like that process should work, darn XP! I guess there is no easy way to do what you are doing then, I'll poke around a bit and see if I can come up with something but I seriously doubt that there is a way. Again I am sorry for the false hope, it's just wrong that XP won't let you do this. Take care,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest ThrottleUp

----------------------------------------------------------------------Again I am sorry for the false hope----------------------------------------------------------------------Do not be sorry :) Its a great idea and frankly Im surprised that XP will not allow you to do this.I think we should look for freeware 3rd-party programs that will let us perform this action! Im sure they are out there...somewhere! I did come across some Windows XP "Power Toys" but unfortunately there was no PowerToy for multiple icon-changing!:)