Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Atlanta is too grid like

Guest guyjr

Hi all... I've got Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment Pro, and the FS Genesis Landclass installed on my rig, and overall, it is just shy of the real deal. However, whenever I fly around Atlanta, everything inside the perimeter and even a lot of the suburban areas look way too densely populated, as well as "grid like" - i.e., the streets on the textures are aligned at perfect 90 degree angles.My guess is that the landclass is calling for urban textures well outside of town, and the GE Pro textures don't have a lot of variety when it comes to the road layouts. This is definitely a problem in Atlanta, because if you've ever driven there, you know there is no such thing as a straight road. It's pretty funny actually to be flying over downtown in the sim, look east, and see perfectly straight stretches of textured roads leading all the way out to Stone Mountain!Anyway - just curious if there is a way to make things look more realistic? It seems like some of the European textures might have more twists and turns in the roads, because over there virtually all cities are similar to Atlanta in that respect. I imagine tweaking the landclass would be all that's needed, but don't know for sure. Would like to hear any opinions tho about this.Thanks!

I assume you are using the sandwich layered set up for UT?You may want to try turning off the UT City landclass layer, therefore using the FSG landclass, and see how you like that instead. I, too, agree that the UT landclass is very repetitive and uses way too much urban landclass in populated areas.I have redone the landclass for most of Massachusetts from Worcester east using SBuilder (available here at Avsim, with an update available at PTSim). If you fly in the area a lot, you may want to consider doing the same. It's quite simple, and should only take a couple of hours once you get the hang of it.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest guyjr

Well, I took your advice, but used LWMViewer2 instead. I replaced pretty much all of the grid textures around Atlanta with non-grid ones, leaving just the downtown / midtown areas with grid streets. I just uploaded the replacement landclass here, so it should show up soon. Archive name is atlutrep.zip for those wanting to try it out.